Author Topic: DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE  (Read 2713 times)

Offline typoagain

Re: DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, »
I actually tried to pick up some vinyl at Hobby Lobby today and they did not have any. I will not have time to go to my favorate sing shop till the middle of next week/ I might have a little bit left from making my yard sign last year, but with all that is going on, it might be a while before I get to look for it.

I did find a can of spray on glass frosting that was left over from when we moved into this house. It's not the greatest stuff, but the wife wanted the windows frosted, with curtains, before she would use the windows in the master bath. At the time the order of the day was fast and cheap. Sandblasting would be much better

Have a couple of ideas and will post pics as soon as I can. I think that I will start with Halloween first.
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How many 5050 nodes are you going to run on each 3 CH grouping. I have a Rainbow Brain that will work but not sure how many CH to use.

Mike

I did 6 (which is over kill ... 4 would work) each and a 3 channel module on the bottom of each so each one is individually controlled.

Harrison

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, »
Another option, I was at Micheal's last week and noticed some glass etching stuff in with their Christmas displays.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, »
How would 1-5050 node look per lantern? Remember they are only 4" square, I do not want to get to many in so it is hard to work on them. Also how large is 1-5050 node?

Mike

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, »
since they are 4 sided, i would do at least 3 stood on end vertical - facing both sides and front (no use to send light out back), and one dmx module in the bottom.  The rectangle ones are aprox 3" long if I remember - 3 to 3.5 - am at work, so i cant measure right now

Myk

or i just thought - paint inside before installing glass a reflective silver - and you could get away with just 2 nodes....

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, »
I picked up a small lantern and a big one, both in silver, at Lowes today.  I also got the frosting spray paint which I just sprayed inside the lantern.  It turned out pretty well.  I'll try to get some 5050 modules in them and get some video up.  Might be a couple of days though, schedule is pretty crazy right now.

I'll keep you posted.

Ron

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, »
All right after some time & work I have finished the first 7 lanterns.  As you can see in the pictures I frosted the glass with the spray etching paint ( about 3 coats) then installed 2- 5050 RGB modulars.Placed aluminum foil in the bottom to reflect back up. Connected them to a Rainbow Brain & used RJ's TX/RX wireless. I did find a few problems during the test, the biggest one was trying to get a yellow color that shimmered or sparkled to look like a candle flame. What happened was that when the color was on solid it had a nice color but when trying to shimmer it would revert back to the Red & Green colors. Will have to try something else. Other then that the colors are bright & look great in person. Now to build the other 29 before Christmas. Here is a video of them running.        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks Mike

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, »
very nice!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline typoagain

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, »
I have sprayed the glass on a couple of my black ones, so they look just like yours so far.

I have ordered vinyl in several colors and it should be in next week.

On thing that I will be doing different is the lights. I only plan on using mine for Halloween night this year and I do not plkn on changing the colors any. Just a static light. So I am just going to toss in a couple of the battery powered tea lights that I already have on hand. They have a nice little yellowish tint. I think that this will be nice to have for a quick accent for when you get all set up and feel that something is missing.

For the silver ones I am thinking about a quick paint job with a translucent red or green. I am just having trouble finding the paint locally. Any feed back on this?
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, »
Try a craft store or hobby shop. They have the small spray cans for model building and crafting and will carry many of the semi clear matalic colors.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, »
Looks great!

-Paul

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sent via iPad2 using Tapatalk
Leesburg, FL