Author Topic: RGB Flex Strip  (Read 2846 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: RGB Flex Strip
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, »
I dont know alot about the MR16, but if it puts out 12v DC, and want to use flex type leds, then you need what i call "DUMB" led strings, they are 4 wire, 1 common and 1 for each color - Red, Green Blue leds.  So it will take 3 channels on your controller to run a string of these.

You might be better off using the cheap $7 DMX controllers out there do you dont have to use so many of your channels for each string.

Try looking at holidaycoro.com and David's LED and DMX controller offerings to get a better Idea.

The strings listed in the wiki will ONLY work with smart string controllers...

If you need more info - just hollar....

Myk

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, »
So then back to my original post this flex string is a DUMB strip & will work with 3Ch on the MR16 DC controller.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mike

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2012, »
it should, i dont have a strip or that controller to test - but i see no reason it should not with that controller....

Myk

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2012, »
So the only way this string will work is with a SS controller????????

Mike

No, the mr16 will not work with the SS nodes/ flex strips/ ridged strips/ etc. While it can provide 12 volt of power it has not way to create the data stream the chips in the nodes need to know what to turn on and at what intensity

So you need Pixelnet dongle, SS hub, SSC to power up the SS lights.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, »
Unless I am mistaken this strip is not a smart string type strip.  The appearance of the strip looks as if it contains LEDs and resistors only, no IC's at all.  The price also points toward a dumb strip also.  My only concern would be common anode or common cathode in that the MR16 switches ground rather than + voltage.  From what I have looked at Ray carries both "smart string" type strips and dumb strings that are nothing more than 3 strings of LED's rolled into one.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2012, »
Were all getting confused. Even I, The issue is we have two people talking if I am correct about two different things.

The cheaper strips are not smart and just have the ability to turn on three channels of power for the whole strip. These will not work with the SSC to control them. They may be able to be controlled by the MR16.

The other strips have chips on each node and can be controlled on the light level and these need SSC's but you need the correct ones for them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying