Author Topic: New Smart String COOP?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

New Smart String COOP?
« on: December 06, 2011, »
Hi All, I'm new here, so hello to all.

I'm not completly new to Computerized displays, having run 4 x AC16 controllers from D-Light with the Aurora S/W, but I believe that the Smart String
product is another level forward

I am interested in the Smart String controllers and I'm starting to plan for Halloween next year (2012, I know, I know, but I like to start early)

I'm thinking about building the following (if I have got this correct)

1. Pixelnet ethernet dongle (x1)
2. Pixelnet 16 port hub (x1)
3. Smart String Controller (x10)
4. Flexible Strip (x10 varying in length from 7 foot to 28 foot)
5. S/W via Light Show Pro

Might be to early to ask, but will there be another Samrt String COOP any time soon?
(I'd be happy to help co-ordinate the COOP)

If not in the next 3-4 months, can I source the PCB's from RJ so I can source the other parts myself from Mouser

I tried to send a message to RJ but for some reason the forum won't allow me to send a message to him.

Best Regards
Pete

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: New Smart String COOP?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, »
Welcome to DLA and now that you have posted you will be able to do more and RJ is real busy like the rest of us this time a year so when you pm him it might be a little while for him to respond but he will respond
Jeff

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, »
Hi Pete and welcome to dla

Coops normally start up in Jan or Feb depending on demand and when a coop manager can get started.

After your first post I would imagine that you can now see all of the forums and be able to send RJ a pm

just one note: the flex strip is about 13 feet long max. I don't know if you calculated that into the number of SSCs you plan to buy

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, »
Thanks for the responses

Still figuring out what I need, but am I correct to assume that if I am planning say 10 Flexible Smart Strings at various lengths. By my calculation I would need a total of 625 nodes (lights) each requires 29ma (or a total of 18.125 amps).

Am I correct that one Pixel Net 16 port Hub, can handle 625 nodes?

From the specs I think it can handle a total of 16 Smart Strings at 29ma (or 16 x 128 nodes x 29ma) = 59amps (plus alittle more to power the hub etc)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, by peteandvanessa »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, »
Welcome!

Each SSC (controller) can handle a max of 128 pixels/nodes (which is 384 channels).
The smart hub has 16 rj45 jacks... and while you theorically could use hubs to convert each jack to 4 or more... the next limitation is the number of channels that each active hub can support...  4096 channels or 1365 pixels/nodes.

So...  your numbers should have no problem. 

for power, have .05 amps per SSC, and also its good to reserve 20% of your power supply for fluctuations between vendor or general strangeness.

((625 * .029) + (10 x .05)) / .80 = 23.28 amps. 

be sure to use a single rail power supply.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline fslopez1950

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, »
Welcome to DLA.....

To know more about pixelnet, smart strings controller, lynx ethernet dongle, you can check the WIKI. Be sure to see the videos and documents regarding pixelnet and smart strings.

If you can't wait for coop for what ever interest you, here is the page where you can check availability of different PCBs used in the Lynx line of equipments.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just pm RJ for whatever interest you.