Author Topic: Walmart 100ct Holiday mini's - Wattage/Amperage?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline rogerwh

First show, have three LE's and want to do a 48 channel mega tree.  Have a couple of questions.  The first I'm pretty sure I've seen answered before, just can't find it.  Approximately how many amps or watts does a 100 ct mini string from Walmart use at full power?  Second, and I'm sure this a matter of taste but is there some general rule that one can follow in terms of the number of lights per vertical foot height of a mega tree to look good?   This year I'm limited to running the Mega tree off one 20 amp breaker so I don't want to overload so I'm looking for the right combination of to begin design.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Walmart 100ct Holiday mini's - Wattage/Amperage?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, »
Hi Roger

General rule of thumb for minis = (3) 100 ct mini lights is about 1 amp

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, »
I am not sure about Walmart Mini's but the 100 count mini,s ( green ) that I use pull 0.31 amps according to Kill a watt meter. I have a 15 ft mega tree with 16 channel 4 colors at 4 channels each. Hope this Helps
Jeff

Offline memphislights

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, »
the look is all up to you and what you personally like...

I think that the normal spacing is 4-6" between lights on standard strings.  Best thing to do is hang up one string, and then a double string across from each other and see what you like best.

This year the "mega"  spiral tree that we built only has 32 channels and about 3200 lights, but it still looks pretty nice.  On the other hand 1600 lights could look just as nice depending on your build, height, and programming.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline rogerwh

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, »
Thanks <res. guys.  Exactly the information I was hunting.

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, »
Roger, I did measure 100 clear lights from walmart and got 0.35 amps which is right around what the others said.
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll