Author Topic: meaning of the word "universe"  (Read 821 times)

Offline paranco

meaning of the word "universe"
« on: March 24, 2014, »
Hello to all

Excuse me, maybe this is not the correct section but I did not know where to post

I'm trying to read as much as possible to understand the operation of your systems, but
can not figure out the meaning of the word "universe", what does it mean in the applications
that you carry, kindly qualcono could explain the meaning with an example?   :-[ :-[

Regards sergio

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: meaning of the word "universe"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, »
Hi Sergio,

A unviverse in our language is the number of controllable channels with a wire pair. For example in DMX you are limited to 512 channels or 1 universe. In Pixelnet a universe is 4096 channels. Pixelnet is RJ's protocol to run RGB nodes. Now when using Cat 5e cable there are 4 pairs of wires, so we can essetially run 4 universes with 1 cat 5 cable. Clear as mud??

Roger

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, by rdebolt »

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, »
I also see a lot of confusion with the word universe.  Too many people say universe without a qualifier.  I think we should all get in the habit of stating DMX universe or Pixelnet universe to make sure we do not confuse new people.  This is similar to the problem of using the word program.  It is used to describe flashing firmware to a chip, configuring the firmware and creating a sequence.  It is up to all us to communicate more clearly what we are discussing so that new people get less confused.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, »
I agree Jim.

Offline paranco

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, »
Thanks guys
Now I have a little more clear, I thought that the "universe" he was referring to how many cards you could manage at the same time, while I understand it is the number of LEDs that can be controlled with a little "twisted", regardless of how many outputs can have the card that controls them.

Thanks again for the time you have dedicated

regards Sergio

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks guys
Now I have a little more clear, I thought that the "universe" he was referring to how many cards you could manage at the same time, while I understand it is the number of LEDs that can be controlled with a little "twisted", regardless of how many outputs can have the card that controls them.

Thanks again for the time you have dedicated

regards Sergio

It is the number of channels that you can control not just led. I am going to probably confuse you here, not meant to, but if you are running true leds and NOT RGB nodes then you are contolling a string of lights with 1 channel of DMX (Pixelnet is designed for RGB) If you are running an RGB node with DMX or Pixelnet it will use 3 channels per node (bulb) 1 for the red, 1 for the Green, and 1 for the Blue. Then within those 3 channels you adjust the "brightness" for each color to make different colors. When you are sequncing a song most of the latest software makes those adjustments for you.

Hope this helps a little.

Roger

Offline paranco

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, »

thank you Roger

I learned a new thing, thanks to you.

In fact, what interests me is a control node rgb, you have difficulties to understand how many nodes
do I check for rgb led string, so if I canal in 2040, I can control node 680 rgb ..... correct?

Regards Sergio

Offline caretaker

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, »
Sergio, this might help:

Normally when we are controlling lights we use one CHANNEL to turn a string of lights on, off or Dim somewhere in between those two points. In the case of a Lynx Express it has 16 channels so you could control 16 separate strings of lights with one Lynx Express.

Now with Pixels it is much different. With a Pixel String each "bulb" is a node consisting of 3 LED's Red, Green and Blue. So each node is 3 channels and if you have 50 nodes on a Pixel string you would need 150 channels to control that string. By setting a dimming value for the Red, Green and Blue LED's in a node you can create a specific color for that node. 

Universe- X number of channels depending on the universe type (512 for DMX OR 4096 for Pixelnet)
Channel - single part of a universe
Node - 3 channels (Red, Green and Blue) single element of a Pixel string

Hope that doesn't confuse you to much.....
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline paranco

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, »

Grazie caretaker

ok, thank you now it seems clear.

Now I can only figure out which card can be done in my case, I think the E682 card should do to my case, counting to use as a command handler Falcon player pi

(Sorry my English is sure to be bad, it is also for this reason that I find it hard to understand your explanations)

regards Sergio