Author Topic: Size of your Matrix/PixelNet Sign  (Read 748 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Size of your Matrix/PixelNet Sign
« on: March 24, 2014, »
How many node are in you sign? Do you sync your sign to lights or just have a set of patterns that run on it. The reason I'm ask is would there be a need for a standalone pixelnet sign player. I Was think of modifying the Panther DMX Player to play pixelnet for my sign and did not know if there is a need for such a device that is not Synced to music?
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Size of your Matrix/PixelNet Sign
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, »
Mine is just static lights.  It is an accessoriy to my show and not part of the show.  I have enough issues with my display lights that I do not want to get into sequencing a tune to sign.  If I ever decide to use nodes I would treat it as a small matrix and use it as a part of the show.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, »
Mine will be 3 coro panels wide 45wide by 10 high total.

I plan to sync the lights with the music using LSP, but the ability to use the Panther might be nice for other parts of the year.

Alan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, »
As others have said, it really depends on what you want o use it for.  I also have no intention of making it a part of my show but I may want to put more information on it then can statically be put on it such as both the tune to frequency and the show times.  I may also want it to display a countdown to the holiday or to say if the show will NOT be running due to weather conditions.   That being said, there is no way that can be statically placed on a sign and while I could possibly create a set of channels with the desired messages and paste that into every song (making it a part of the show), that would be a bit of a PITA and then limit the use of the sign to only when the show is running.  I'm not sure if the DMX player has enough pixelnet output for what I want it to do and if not, a DMX dongle flashed for PixelNet connected to an old notebook will more than do the trick, especially if I intend to run a countdown clock.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, »
If its setup to not look for triggers and speed is not to big of an issue than the panther should be able to handle 4096 channels.

Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, »
That channel count would be more than enough and as said before, it is a sign so how much speed would I really need.  If it can scroll test and look ok doing that, then it should be fine.  The only issue I see with using the Panther or even the Conductor for that matter, would be the countdown clock but I could always do without that on the sign and continue to use my existing one but that one is kinda locked into Christmas.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving