Author Topic: Question about power cables  (Read 583 times)

Offline Jugster

Question about power cables
« on: January 04, 2011, »
I am new to the site (about a month now) and have alrady started building quite a few things (almost completed a Dongle, LE, Transmitter and 2 receivers) but I feel as if I am no where near close.

Questions for today..
Does most people here buy a spool of green wire and make their own power cords for their LEs or do you buy the indoor/outdoor cords and cut off the male end?

Do you plan your extension cords around your LEs usage?
So an LE in the middle of a mega tree has 10 foot extensions off the LE  while an LE that is used to connect to distant locations have variable lengths connected..

I guess I am a little bit confused about the extension cords knowing that next year I will have somewhere around 90 channels with no way to get power to them. I need to figure this out soon :)

Thanks for any help

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Question about power cables
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, »
Hi Jugster,

Like anything else in DIY its a personal thing

Like for me. The input power to the LE, I use power cords from multi-strips do to the fact they are heavier gauge wire (of course I cut off the power strip). For the output cables I buy cheap extension cords and cut off the male ends and just keep the cords at 6'. The reason I don't change the length is because each year the box could be in a different spot needing either shorter or longer lengths. So I just plug in other extension cords if needed. Now other folks use very short cords from the box and just add cords as needed the reason is for easy storage. Others might do custom length output cords.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
Re: Question about power cables
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, »
Hey Jug,

This topic has been discussed several times. You can search up at the top.   Here is one of the threads. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To sum it all up.....Everyone has their own way of doing it.  Some buy the rolls and make their own custom length cords, some use 6' cords off the shelf, some have found sources online, others make their own plug boxes using household receptacles.

Kyle
Excess is Success
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login