Author Topic: Can LED Smart Strings be used as stand alone lights?  (Read 582 times)

Offline joatman66

I'm piecing together some DMX hardware from some very gracious DLA members to see if I can't get something running this year.

I know I am going to purchase some lights to supplement what I already have. 

My question is this...  Can the Smart String Nodes be somehow used as a traditional strand of lights for DMX this year and converted to SS Nodes next year?

Or am I just wasting money/time and better off just purchasing traditional strands?

Thanks!

Offline inzeos

Re: Can LED Smart Strings be used as stand alone lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm piecing together some DMX hardware from some very gracious DLA members to see if I can't get something running this year.

I know I am going to purchase some lights to supplement what I already have. 

My question is this...  Can the Smart String Nodes be somehow used as a traditional strand of lights for DMX this year and converted to SS Nodes next year?

Or am I just wasting money/time and better off just purchasing traditional strands?

Thanks!

You still need the SS hardware to operate the strings from what I know.  You can have those strings be set up to not be fancy and operate them like a traditional string with 1 color if you wanted to... Be very expensive though compared to traditional routes.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Can LED Smart Strings be used as stand alone lights?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, »
You can run a smart string using this controller ... its controlling one item only, and you do have to wire it for the particular smart string item your using.  It has easy wiring quick connects on it and does include the remote control.

You will also need a sufficient 12v power supply with the amp rating to covering the draw for the string, 5 amps or more should do. 

You might find someone who would be willing to re-sell this unit in the domestic US, perhaps someone who can test with SSC now.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]