Author Topic: How Many Dongles  (Read 3590 times)

Offline fbinthesouth

Re: How Many Dongles
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, »
I am hoping that LSP does not have channel problems with those large numbers. It is what I plan to use to do my large node megatree. Anyone else who has tried it PLEASE advise kindly! I will need over 16k channels JUST for my megatree.

Did you have any issues with configuring the 3 dongles? I asked in another thread about 4 but I would assume this would be a similar configuration to that.

ONE QUESTION that did come to mind...
Each smart string controller gets a starting channel number right? So when you have 4 dongles worth of SS going, you obviously have at LEAST 4 different hubs. Assuming you are using the same node count strings like I plan for a megatree, you have smart strings that have the same start channel on the same tree and the thing that keeps them discrete is that they are on separate hubs right? Not that it is a problem but just making sure I have my head around it. (only problem for me would be to identify the strings by HUB AND start number,

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, »
16k channel mega tre.... that's a COLOSSAL (sp?)  TREE    :o
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am hoping that LSP does not have channel problems with those large numbers. It is what I plan to use to do my large node megatree. Anyone else who has tried it PLEASE advise kindly! I will need over 16k channels JUST for my megatree.

Did you have any issues with configuring the 3 dongles? I asked in another thread about 4 but I would assume this would be a similar configuration to that.

ONE QUESTION that did come to mind...
Each smart string controller gets a starting channel number right? So when you have 4 dongles worth of SS going, you obviously have at LEAST 4 different hubs. Assuming you are using the same node count strings like I plan for a megatree, you have smart strings that have the same start channel on the same tree and the thing that keeps them discrete is that they are on separate hubs right? Not that it is a problem but just making sure I have my head around it. (only problem for me would be to identify the strings by HUB AND start number,

No the issue with 4 is I did not have 4 dongles to use. I swapped my DMX dongle over to pixelnet to have 3.

There is not issue in configuring them you just add another pixelnet plugin. At least on vixen.

The start channel is easy. Each Universe has a channel #1 - #4096 if you are using the whole universe. So on your setup you would have 4 SSC's with #1 as their start channel # Each plugged into a different hub running on a different PixelNet universe.

In vixen (not versed well in LSP yet. Haveing trouble using it) the channels would be #1 - 16,000 but each pixelnet plugin is set to 1 to 4096, 4097 to 8192, 8193 to 12289, 12290 to  16384.

This is if vixen would let me enter more than 9999 channels.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline prof

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, »
The channel issue was highlighted by Ed from J1sys in one of his Ethcon-gateway videos. Vixen can display and will work with 5 digit numbers, it is just that the text box data entry will only handle 4 digits. Untill Vixen is updated, the work around was to manually edit the XML file.