Author Topic: Semi Smart Strings?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Semi Smart Strings?
« on: February 03, 2011, »
I know you can control the regular Smart String on a per node basis.  Are there any strings where every bulb would be RGB but be controlled as a whole string.  i.e Every bulb would be changed as the same color so a string would only be 3 channels?

I ask this as it would be easy and it might be cheaper.

Is there such an option.  If this has already been asked, I'm sorry;  please don't flog me.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Re: Semi Smart Strings?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, »
The smart strings can do that also by configuring them in "String Mode"
Thanks
Mike

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, »
 <wd.. ^ what he said. There will be two options for smart strings string mode which is RGB (3 channels per string) or RGB each node (which is definitely more than 3 channels).

Read it all here
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Like most node type controllers it can be run as 3 channels per node (light) or 3 channels per string so you can use them either way and can run the channels either direction of the string
RJ 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, by knguyen916 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, »
There are actually three modes for the smart strings.  They are string mode, pixel mode, and hybrid mode.  String mode controls the entire string with 3 channels, pixel mode controls each pixel separately and hybrid mode uses the first three channels to set a base setting for the string and also allows individual control of each pixel in the string.  Hybrid mode is the mode I will be using for my display this year.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, »
Are there any strings where every bulb would be RGB but be controlled as a whole string

(I think you asked a slightly different question than the one thats getting answered, so my reply is based on that hunch)

I think so.   I know there are flexible pixel strips (not the digital ones, which are pixel level control) where the entire strip is
treated as a single RGB LED module.  Those take 3 DMX channels (3 RGB channels, or entered as 1 RGB channel in LSP) to control
(and you can interconnect, if power supplied is correct).

I know dmoore has talked about both types and fasteddy has been making a point recently (on Aus forums) that there is a time
and place for both types.  I agree.

Like you, I see a huge gain in just having some strings where they could just be treated like one RGB string ... which almost eliminates
the need for superstrings and allows more colors than a 3 or 4 color superstring would.

I think there are modules in a string form which would also work the same was as these flexible RGB pixel strips, I believe they are the
non-digital types.  I'm not sure they are a lot cheaper, but I think in the flexible pixel strip varieties, they are about 1/2 the price
of their digital (pixel level control) counterparts.  You can also chain just about any of the RGB modules together and they run this way ...
so for example, most of those 5050 modules ... and they come in all sorts of form factors.  I think one of the form factors is a string of
LED nodes, which are all controlled with 3 RGB channel (like 1 RGB string) ... but I'll wait from one of our RGB experts to chime in on that.

So here is an example with the flexible pixel strips:

(1) the non-digital version, where 5m (15') is approx. $37 USD.  
(5m(one roll) 5050 SMD 30LEDs/m led strip,waterproof by silicon tubing and coating;RGB color;can be used underwater;IP68 Unit Price:    US $36.84 - 37.89 / piece)

(2) the digital version, where 5m (15') is approx. $68 USD.  
(5m LED Digital strip, with 6803 IC, 30pcs 5050 SMD per meter;DC12V input;with silicon tubing; Unit Price:   US $65.26 - 69.47 / set)

So with #1, you could control with 3 channels of DMX ... and use a 3 channel DMX controller that can be put inline and run with a $8 3ch DMX controller and $7 DC power supply.  The #1 strings are basically built for "String mode" RGB only.  They can't work in per pixel RGB mode.

With #2, you would need 30 channels of DMX (to control each of the 5050 sets) and could perhaps use a SS Controller (if compatible) or a TP3244 to control.
I think the SS Controller will be able to work with certain Pixel Strip Modules, in additional to the Pixel Strings.  I thought I also heard that the SS CNTL might also
work with these single RGB control modules as well, but again that will be announced later, so I don't know.

Is there a pixel string (semi smart string) equivalent of #1 and #2 shown above?  I would think so.  I'm not sure if the price savings is similar ... but you would think it might be.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, »
another point to think of is if you get the smart strings, and use them for now in string mode...  later on, when you decide that you want to do more like control each node, you'll already have the technology and wont need to "upgrade" your lights. for the low cost it seems the nodes might end up as, I cant see much of a savings per node in getting a straight single channel rgb string. 
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, »
Totally agree.  Seems smart to have the full capability now, even if you only used them in string mode initially.  Seems like the software still has some catching up to do, to make easy control of all those pixel RGB channels truly easy.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, »
For people on a tight budget you can get the standard 3 channel RGB string for around 34 cents per LED so thats nearly half the price of the smart strings or similar pixel based lighting. Some elements may never require pixel based lighting so why bother paying the extra expense. Again these led strings do need some extra work to water proof like most of the other DIY strings and are 5VDC instead of 12VDC

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, »
Haven't tried it (yet), but a Pixel string controlled by the Tiger TP3244 has the option of setting a divider (Pixel Grouping). If you have 36 pixels and set that value to 6, then it behaves as a 6 pixel string. Set it to 9 and it becomes a 4 pixel string. Set it to 36 and should behave as a single string.

But - as of now, I don't think you can change it "during a show" just during initial configuration of the TP3244 or between sequences.

dmoore - you may have hands on experience - do I have that right?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, by JonB256 »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, »
For people on a tight budget you can get the standard 3 channel RGB string for around 34 cents per LED so thats nearly half the price of the smart strings or similar pixel based lighting. Some elements may never require pixel based lighting so why bother paying the extra expense. Again these led strings do need some extra work to water proof like most of the other DIY strings and are 5VDC instead of 12VDC

True, but since the coop for the actual lights hasn't started yet, the price and specs of the strings could still change (as with possible preice breaks for large quantities as what helps as running a coop.)
So this is all speculation until the coop actually starts.

If you did buy strings that only did string mode, and later decided "maybe, i should have done pixels" then the costs increases, as you bought 2 strings, instead of one in the first place.

kinda like buying a color tv, vs black and white. the color tv can still show black and white programs, but gives you color as well  "just in case"
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, »
Great discussion all.  I agree with Eddy on this one.  There is a reason for string mode for
many, and if not for economic reasons ... then for software (simplicity) reasons.

I'll draw another comparison, instead of the color/b&w TV analogy.

I kind of feel like full RGB pixel mode is a little bit like climbing mt everest, while string mode might
be climbing a 14'er. 

Both are challenging.  One takes it to a level, where many more will
fail or get part way, then fail.  The other is more acheivable, but still not for whimps.

I think technology wise ... why not go full RGB at the pixel level?  But software wise, pixel mode 
is (currently) taking you to a place where its a bit wild-west still ... and probably too wild for
most ... except the serious gun slingers.

Sorry, a couple of crazy analogies going on there.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, »
The only problem with the above comparison is that the smart string controller can be configured for string mode which removes the complexity of full pixel mode while still being capable of it later when the software catches up. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, »
I agree, it does allow for a simple way to control in string mode.

I know LSP supports pixelnet.  Does Vixen as well?

I'm assuming that those are the only two which support pixelnet currently.

Thats where the ice gets thin for me.   

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, »
Yes, Vixen supports it.  That is what RJ used for his display last season.  If it gets popular and I expect that it will, others will probably support it as well.  There are oher software applictions under development now that I expect will also suppport it. 

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, »

True, but since the coop for the actual lights hasn't started yet, the price and specs of the strings could still change (as with possible preice breaks for large quantities as what helps as running a coop.)
So this is all speculation until the coop actually starts.

If you did buy strings that only did string mode, and later decided "maybe, i should have done pixels" then the costs increases, as you bought 2 strings, instead of one in the first place.

kinda like buying a color tv, vs black and white. the color tv can still show black and white programs, but gives you color as well  "just in case"

I wouldnt be expecting too much of a price discount from what RJ has already stated in price with the group buy even with the bulk purchases.
The difference in price can be quiet considerable, you could spend $3000 on super strings just alone and may not get the effect and coverage your looking for based on your budget but using a combination of smart strings/ pixels in conjunction with standard 3 channel RGB lights can still give an awsome RGB effect within your budget.  It may not be every ones cup of tea but many many people do have tight budgets and the combination could allow them to afford having many more RGB elements than what they could afford if just buying smart strings or something similar, there are options.
In fact thats exactly what i did in 2010 i used a combination of both standard 3 channel RGB and digital RGB pixels to get a great RGB effect. I was happy with the effect and it also kept things a bit simpiler by keeping the channel count down to 2200 channels

If you look at the part where it has the 5 golden rings you get the illusion of the whole house being made of pixels as the rainbow flows across the house, but this was done using a combination of both. If I had gone to just pixels/smart strings then i would have never been able to acomplish what i wanted within my set budget.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience