Author Topic: Flexible LED strip question  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Terlingua Ed

Flexible LED strip question
« on: February 08, 2011, »
Hi,
I recently purchased some of the LED strip stuff and am looking for a way to control it. The strip I have is 5 meters and has 3 wires. I have seen some out there with maybe 6 wires (not sure of the actual number but know it is more than the 3 I have). The question is...can what I have be controlled and made to chase etc like in your video here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ?

Thanks a million!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Flexible LED strip question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, »
Not sure there are lots of different strips made with different stuff inside them and I do not even know what in yours so it hard for me to answer. The guys at Aussiechristmas have controllers to control lots of different types of stuff My controllers are design to use one type. There is also different voltage so that matters also.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline urthegman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, »
Does anyone know how many nodes and the power consumption of each for the smart LED strips we will be using? Thanks George

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know how many nodes and the power consumption of each for the smart LED strips we will be using? Thanks George

I started a chart in the wiki equipment page about the different items and node usage, with the info I have. I plan to updated it when more information is available.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline urthegman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, »
Thank you very kindly Rick, I'm trying to figure out my power requirements for a matrix. Ideally I would like to use the flexible ribbon but if I have to use the smart string nodes and secure them in place somehow, I will go that route. Especially if the power consumption of the nodes is substantial. 

Offline Lucas

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, »
Depending on the size of your matrix, the rigid strips might be a good compromise between the flexible strip and any of the discrete node solutions. Have you considered them?

Offline urthegman

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, »
I did consider it, but I'm looking at building a ~ 4' by ~ 10' matrix and since the rigid strips are 1 meter or a little over 39 inches, I'm not sure how 3 of them side by side by side would look. If I can do it without the two gaps, then you're right that would be the way to go. My other idea was to put the flexible strip in some J-channel so it is semi-rigid and protected from the elements. Always open to suggestions though. George

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, »
Good news, The rigid strips will have three pin watertight connectors attached, correct me if I am wrong but you will also need  "Pair of cable (1male / 1 female) ends to match the ridge strip if you want to use the ends on it to connect them."Only thing I'm thinking now is if I DO use the rigid strip for the matrix THIS year I am kind of locked in for its uses in years to come. The flexible strip is well, more flexible! LOL and I can use it for different uses like wrapping it around a mega tree or bordering the house or arches etc.