Author Topic: Smart String Ornament Ball  (Read 2056 times)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Smart String Ornament Ball
« on: February 11, 2011, »
Hi everyone. Although I am not quite ready for smart strings myself I thought that it would be a neat effect to use smart strings to make ornament balls similar to this (reply 11)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I was thinking they could be used to hang in/on mega/mid trees or some other decoration.

Rich

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Re: Smart String Ornament Ball
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, »
Or maybe something like this  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks
Mike

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, »
Sweet!

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, »
Or maybe something like this  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I saw your design on the other post. I don't have a mega tree yet and I am planning on making some mid trees so something smaller might be good for me. I definitely like your idea of making the larger ornaments similar to the hand held wands you can buy for kids. If you can get the rotation right you could even make designs in the ornaments or have them grow and shrink in size. I saw you were looking at making your own slip ring assembly which is a cool idea. You could also look at buying slip-rings maybe on e-bay. Good luck with the build.

Rich

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, »
That is really "cool", as long as it stays below freezing outside. While is was watching, the thought crossed my feeble brain that it would really look good in a punch bowl. What about instead of frozen water, using plastic resin?  That might be cool.
Jim Wright

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, »
That is really "cool", as long as it stays below freezing outside. While is was watching, the thought crossed my feeble brain that it would really look good in a punch bowl. What about instead of frozen water, using plastic resin?  That might be cool.

...the one I was looking at was cast from a plastic resin and not ice. I should have probably made a point to say it was not the one in ice, my bad.  <fp.

there is the DIY later down in the post #11

Rich

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, »
I need to look more carefully! >.d9
Jim Wright

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, »
I have a 35ft tall pine tree in my front yard and was thinking of mega-treeing (sic) that...However the ornament deal seems more possible and less like several car payments and a second mortgage.

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, »
Or maybe something like this  http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=3988.msg74610#msg74610

I saw your design on the other post. I don't have a mega tree yet and I am planning on making some mid trees so something smaller might be good for me. I definitely like your idea of making the larger ornaments similar to the hand held wands you can buy for kids. If you can get the rotation right you could even make designs in the ornaments or have them grow and shrink in size. I saw you were looking at making your own slip ring assembly which is a cool idea. You could also look at buying slip-rings maybe on e-bay. Good luck with the build.

Rich

Based on some suggestions from other users, I am considering a redesign just using smart strings and generating all the effects spinning, sizing, colors etc using LSP.

No real need to actually do a physical spin. Using software, spin effects can be generated like a gyro. Lots of programming but I am pretty sure I can accomplish it using the LSP matrix tool.

Thanks
Mike