Author Topic: Node String  (Read 1626 times)

Offline mitch09

Node String
« on: February 28, 2011, »
It seems that the string nodes are much cheaper than the rest of the others. So, it looks like I will make the string nodes work for me. Does anyone know if the string nodes will clip into light-strip clips? If so what size clips?  3/16", 1/4" or 5/8"? Is there a picture or diagram that shows the actual size of the node casing? Maybe RJ will have to answer this question.

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Node String
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, »
Keep in mind the shipping on the strings seems to be higher ... and that the modules are 3 LED(s) each as opposed to 1(each) for string nodes.  Watch the videos on vimeo that RJ did ... that might help understand the size.  Search for smart strings.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, »
Don't have them yet but the order site for the strings says:

Package Size:1cm x 1cm x 1cm (0.39in x 0.39in x 0.39in)

so I would take it the diameter is .39" (and I question the height dimension there as they look taller than they are wide or deep).  That makes a 1/4" clip closest (.25) but none of the clips seem to match the dimensions perfectly if we can believe the specs on the site.
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, »
taybrynn,

I noticed the shipping was a little more, but I am outlining windows and really need distance coverage. Having 3 LED's together is brighter, but I still need to cover 'x' amount of linear ft. I just like my window outlines to be nice and straignt. I have used lightclip strips for the last couple of years and the worked great. A lot of clips for multiple colors. This would really reduce the number of clips I use, if I can just get the correct sizing.  Looks like I may have to just order some other sizes and give them a try.

I thought about the flexible strip, but it is much more expensive per node - double i believe.

Ryan

Offline CaptKirk

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, »
I've been reading about people using PVC pipe to mount the lights to,  then that just goes up around the window.  Seems like a clean/easy way to handle it.  Seems fast to put up and to take down.
"Beam me up Scotty- there is no intelligent life on this planet."

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, »
Don't have them yet but the order site for the strings says:

Package Size:1cm x 1cm x 1cm (0.39in x 0.39in x 0.39in)

so I would take it the diameter is .39" (and I question the height dimension there as they look taller than they are wide or deep).  That makes a 1/4" clip closest (.25) but none of the clips seem to match the dimensions perfectly if we can believe the specs on the site.

this is not a good indicator..   all of the packages say the same thing   (inncluding the aluminum 1 meter long channel) 

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, »
If you check the wiki section on the Smart Strings there is the size of them as I measured. It is in the document about the strings.

Do not use the sizes listed on the order page as they are not ever updated to be correct they are all the same.

RJ 
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, »
taybrynn,

I noticed the shipping was a little more, but I am outlining windows and really need distance coverage. Having 3 LED's together is brighter, but I still need to cover 'x' amount of linear ft. I just like my window outlines to be nice and straignt. I have used lightclip strips for the last couple of years and the worked great. A lot of clips for multiple colors. This would really reduce the number of clips I use, if I can just get the correct sizing.  Looks like I may have to just order some other sizes and give them a try.

I thought about the flexible strip, but it is much more expensive per node - double i believe.

Ryan

Don't worry the node are bright enough. They show up well. and on a window frame so the light spreads and reflects I think they will make you happy.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying