Author Topic: candelabra base 110 led light bulb  (Read 1676 times)

Offline rimist

candelabra base 110 led light bulb
« on: October 24, 2011, »
I'm tired of throwing bulbs into the ceiling fans... regular ones use too much power and generate too much heat. Florescent ones don't last any longer than regular ones due to the ceiling fan motion, i presume, so end up costing a fortune.

Anyone have any thoughts about building my own 110v, candelabra base led light bulbs? I'd be making at least a dozen.

Thanks in advance
- Rimist

Offline SGInut

Re: candelabra base 110 led light bulb
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, »
Costco has a three pack for around $20.  I looked into making my own and it's hard to source the bases and clear covers cheap enough in small qty to compete.

Offline rimist

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, »
lol... I have more than enough bases... all I have to do is break the dead incandescent bulbs, clean up the residual glass.... voila!

I looked at Sams club but the lumen output was more along the line of a night light. I need eight of these to light up a 13 x 22 room.
- Rimist

Offline nvizzini

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, »
Hi rimist
The Problem is not the motion of the fan butThe heat generated by the electronics used to control the current . You will have the same problem with L E Ds. I bought some L E D  Lamps and had them fail. I Finley took one apart and found the rectifier had burnt out. You may want to use a smaller lamp in the fans.
The CFLs That came with my fans are still working after 3 years
If I can do any research for you let me know. Good luck.
Nicholas

Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, »
My kids have had cfls in there fan for 5 years. A 40 watt led bulb is right around 40 $ and it is more of a reflecter style so you do not get 340 degree coverge more like 180 

Offline rimist

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, »
I guess that it must be due to the brownouts and lightning where I live. CFL bulbs last at best a year, but typically half that. I am using 40 watt bulbs. in the standard base ceiling fans I use 13 watt cfl
- Rimist

Offline travailen

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, »
If brownouts are a problem in your area, you might consider a dimmable CFL. Brownouts are hard on non dimmable CFLs and can cause them to overheat and fail. Also, do everything you can to allow for as much air circulation around the CFL as possilbe. The quickest way to shorten the life of a CFL is to run it hot.

Rick S