Author Topic: New Nodes for Smart Strings?  (Read 5087 times)

Offline mokeefe

Re: New Nodes for Smart Strings?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, »
Actually I placed an order with Ray a few weeks back and specifically asked for the newer "style" pixel strings. Ray said the new method achieves true IP68 waterproofing. He said that is what he would send in my order.  Unfortunately he says he's out of stock on some of the parts, so I'm stuck waiting for my shipment. Like RJ says, I'd communicate with Ray prior to the purchase and make sure he knows you want the newer waterproofed pixel strings. Of course, we'll see what he ends up sending me.

-Mike

dandyman

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, »
I just received my order a few days ago... new pixels (I ordered 5 - 128 pixel strings)... not one bad pixel in the lot... the epoxy looks great...

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, »
Dandyman,

I am looking to buy 6 strings. Could you send a close-up picture of a node?
Thanks.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, »
They look the same but have filled up the inside of the node until it is level with the outside. Ray sent me some samples to look at without me asking along with a clear faceted c9 cover I had been trying to get from him and had given up because he kept sending the wrong thing. Haven't had time to test them yet.

Make sure to test the new nodes using RJ's test program for at least 12 hours. On the original batch some that seemed fine using Ray's test controller had problems using the test firmware after a few hours.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, »
Is there an updated link / product number to use when ordering these new nodes?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, »
I saw what looks like brand new nodes for sale at Rays store.  Same price as the old ones.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline richardb

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, »
I received my lights about Mid August, and I believe they are the "newer" water proofed ones, as there appears to be dry silicon type goop in the ends... I would be interested in seeing some pictures for comparison...
I am still planning on sealing most of mine tomorrow... Wanted to wait for the humidity to drop back down a bit....
As an aside, I couldn't locate Plasti-dip thinner locally, so I purchased the two ingredients as per the MSDS and will be thinning it with that...
65% Toluene
35 VM&P Naphtha

Any negative thoughts on doing it this way?

PS. I ordered 26 strings, and have tested 17 of them so far with 0% failure...  Will have the rested tested and cut by end of weekend, fingers crossed...

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, »
The only thing I see with the testing nodes we did is they feel like the back of a post it note when done. Not sticky just like something is there. I'm not sure it matters but that is what they fell like. They are water resistant at that point and seem to care nothing about water as even around the led gets another sealing. What I am saying is once it is dry it seems to make them truly water resistant.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jess_her

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, »
Hello all
sorry if this is a redundant question, but is this the improved smart string?

Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline richardb

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, »
The only way to know for sure is ask him prior to ordering... But I would assume all newly ordered strings would be the "sealed" ones....

Also, I would like to report....

Out of 3328 Nodes (26 x 128) I had only 1 that was bad (The RED element was out in it).
That works out to about a .03% failure rate.... LOL...
I burned in all of the strings for about 5 minute each.. and had a 2 1/2 year old help me stretch them out... So I am sure they were stretched well...

Richard

Offline keitha43

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, »
Five minutes is not long enough. You need to test with RJ's test Firmware for around 12 hours. I had a few nodes that worked fine for a couple of hours before I went to bed but were malfunctioning when I got up the next morning.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, »
I run mine for a week - occaisonally moving them around and giving them a slight drop to the table top.   One of my last strings lost a node as I did this just before I shut them off.  The nodes can go at anytime, but this helps to weed out the weaker ones.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, »
jess, those are the ones I saw ... and was also wondering if they were the newest nodes available.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jess_her

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, »
I sent Ray an email, we'll see what he says.
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline richardb

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, »
That's Cool... I have cut them to the sizes I needed, and am sealing them up now...
As an aside, RJ...  What is your verdict on the "sealed" lights Ray is sending?
He assured me mine were water proof, and I could even submerge them in water...

Richard