Author Topic: Purchasing Smart Strings from Ray  (Read 1836 times)

Offline kauthier

Purchasing Smart Strings from Ray
« on: September 12, 2011, »
Hi folks.  I've finally gotten around to building my smart string hub and controllers from the coop and ordered a couple sets of smart strings from Ray a couple of weeks ago.  My concern is that he has asked me now 3 times to extend the processing time.  Each time I ask if there is a problem and he says no problem he just needs more time.  Should I be worried about this, or is this the norm.  I imagine you can't get these things elsewhere so I don't want to cancel the order.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline PVPlaceLights

• Lola "Bean" - The Equalizer
    • Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]
Re: Purchasing Smart Strings from Ray
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, »
I can't speak to the production speed of the smart string nodes but I can speak to the trust worthiness of Ray Wu. I've trusted him with $1,000's in orders, he's replaced defective products, and he is always as expedient as possible. I'm very sure that many others on this forum will say the same thing, though I speak only for myself.

--Matt
Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kauthier

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, »
Thanks. I just read RJ's warning about letting the clock run out. I guess it's not in his best interest to keep the clock going because he doesn't get paid until it runs out.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, »
They are manufacturing new nodes that won't have to be waterproofed as the inside of the node is filled better. However he sent me a sample of about 25 nodes and 1 node was dead so you will want to test each strand using RJ's test firmware for at least 12 hours to look for problems. If you have any Ray will send you replacements plus a few extra.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, »
I bought 20 75 count pixel strings. Most of the strings were ok, however a few of them had on or two pixels that were defective. I bought one of Ray's testers so that I could test the strings immediately on receipt. Once I determined how many pixels were defective I requested replacements before paying. Ray himself extended the payment time no questions asked. He shipped replacements immediately. Very good service.

From the time my shipment was known to be on the way it took 3 days to get it from Hong Kong to Georgia. He will keep you posted if you ask occasionaly. Just remember this is not an off the shef product.

If you order any of the rectangles and white is important to you. Then you need to have your SSCs setup for testing mode and check them for whiteness. Some have a tinge of red to them. I considered those defective at this time.

I actually extended the order clock at least once to be sure that the order didn't get canceled.

Ordering is not a real fast process. Anybody still waiting better get it done or you might just miss this season. It takes a while to process the pixels into strings useable on a mega tree. Tie wrapping them to para cord is a fairly slow process.

Good luck.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, »
I ordered 24 flexible strips and they were shipped in just a few days, so he has those in stock seems like. I just need to get all of them put up now.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, »
Did you have any quality issues with the strips? I just bought 12 that have not arrived yet. Just curious.

I ordered 24 flexible strips and they were shipped in just a few days, so he has those in stock seems like. I just need to get all of them put up now.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, »
Not that I have seen, although I haven't had time to check all of them. The ones I have hooked up worked fine.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, »
I can echo that.  I have most of my 11 flex strips hooked up and have had no issues with them so far. 

As far as the OP's Q.  I haven't delt with an issue like that with Ray but he has been very expedient with my orders so far.  For the pixels I would recommend waiting if it means you get the newer ones.  I have some from early summer and wasn't too impressed with the number of dead or dying nodes in the strings.  Sounds like the newer ones are much improved in this regard.

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, »
Did you have any quality issues with the strips? I just bought 12 that have not arrived yet. Just curious.

I have one that stops working when it is flexed. I tried resoldering at the junction point to no avail. Haven't tried anything else yet. The other 12 all work fine.
80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights