Author Topic: Folding back on itself... creating 2 logical strings from one  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
I am planning to put in place 16 x 128-pixel strings to create a mega tree using the smart string controller.
I don't think I'll create a 41-foot high tree, but instead I'd like to fold the string back on itself to have it connect via the controller to the hub from the bottom of the tree, extend to the top and come back to the bottom.  basically 2 strands for 1 controller.

I've got to believe others have done this.

The question: how do you handle the sequencing of what I want to see considered 2 virtual strings going from 1..64 continuing as 64..1 ?  I want the 16x128 strings to be treated as 32x64 strings.

Maybe the software handles this scenario without problem, maybe the controller can handle this...  I haven't gotten that far yet. (My experience is based on LOR S2 and traditional strings.)

Can someone advise how I can make my life easier with the programming angle?

Thanks!
Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lortiz

Hi Steve,

Assuming you will use the strings to control individual pixels, please be aware that you can't use all 16x128 strings using just 1 PixelNet universe since you have 6,144 channels worth (16*128*3). 1 PixelNet universe can only handle 4096 channels or 1,365 individual pixels. This equals to 85 pixels per string.

My recommendations is to split the strings @ 64 nodes and add a 2nd PixelNet universe.

Leo

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline Steve Gase

Thanks.

I planned to split the tree to use 2x 16-port active hubs.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Regarding your recommendation: 
>> My recommendations is to split the strings @ 64 nodes and add a 2nd PixelNet universe.

Is it possible at the controller to "split" the 128-string, while using the same controller to treat the string as 2 strings within software?

controller---1-2-3-4-5-6-...-63-64\
                                                  |
(end)          64-63-...-6-5-4-3-2-1/
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lortiz

Yes, you can treat nodes 65->128 as a virtual string in software. I only use Vixen and I can see where you are going now. Thing is how to best and effectively achieve this.

You are saying that even though node #128 is the last node in the physical string it will be node #1 of the 'virtual' string.

I guess with the upcoming release of Vixen 3, this will be a lot easier to manage than it is right now. You can also try now Olive Studio (beta software) as it allows you to group elements together such as in this case you would group pixels 1->64 and 65->128 to create 2 different entities within the display.

Leo

Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

dandyman

You can do that in LSP 2.0... I have a similar set-up (only I'm using 8-64 pixel strings, each string folded in half to ultimately make 16-32 pixel strings) for a small 9 foot mega tree.

Let me know if you need more info :-)

Offline Steve Gase

That's great news, thanks to you both!!

Not sure if I'll go LSP2 or Vixen yet... but I'll try both out!

Steve