Author Topic: Node Sealing Thinner  (Read 3767 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
Node Sealing Thinner
« on: September 23, 2011, »
Hi All

Hoping my Plasti Dip is in the mail tonight so I can start sealing nodes this weekend.
I was too cheap to pay shipping on the thinner, figured I would use a locally available substitute.

I have read in posts that the Plasti Dip thinner is 65% toluene and 35% naphtha

And I have also read from RJ, that you can just use Naptha.

Naptha seems available from Lowes.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Where would someone get toluene?
Do I really need it?

Anyone out there have experience not using the Plasti Dip brand thinner?
How did you sealing experience go?

Thanks
Boucher Family Lights

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Node Sealing Thinner
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, »
Was there an earlier thread on this topic?  I recall a mention of a video by RJ, but I'm still having problems with Search to locate what I am looking for.

I am about to receive many new pixel strings, and I'd like to know more about application... mixing the Plasti Dip and the thinner, how to apply... (paint brush to the back of the pixel? or an actual dip into the solution?)

Thanks!
Steve
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, »
Ya, i typically just go to one of RJ's other videos and look around in Vimeo for the Waterproofing Nodes video.

In that one he just uses the Plasti Dip thinner and fully dips them.
Boucher Family Lights

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, »
The video is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, »
Was there an earlier thread on this topic?  I recall a mention of a video by RJ, but I'm still having problems with Search to locate what I am looking for.

I am about to receive many new pixel strings, and I'd like to know more about application... mixing the Plasti Dip and the thinner, how to apply... (paint brush to the back of the pixel? or an actual dip into the solution?)

Thanks!
Steve

If you are getting your strings now you should not have to do this as the new ones are supposed to be waterproof.  Mine shipped today and I do not plan to do any extra waterproofing based on what I have read.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, »
Writeup from the video... I added the burn-in step and fix to get it done BEFORE the dip.

• Get "Cystal Clear Plasti Dip" and ALSO thinner from same manufacturer.
  • Get a low bucket big enough to place the entire light string.
  • Stretch out all of the lights, give them a little bit of a tug to stretch them out to let in the mixture.
  • Burn in the lights, check for problem pixels.
  • Replace damaged pixels to create a GOOD string PRIOR to dipping.
  • Mix Crystal Clear with the thinner to create an ALMOST water-like consistancy.  It should drip like water.
  • Fill the bucket with enough solution that the string is entirely covered
  • Place the ENIRE STRING into the bucket, keep it there for 20 seconds while working the mixture into the crevasses.
  • Lift the string from the mixture, shake off the excess drips.
  • (DO NOT STRETCH IT WITH THE ENTIRE WEIGHT OF THE STRING BEARING ON THE STRING.)
  • Hang the string.
  • Let the string dry/get-tacky for about 30 minutes.
  • Repeat the dip for another 20 seconds.
  • Pull the string out of the mixture and shake off the excess drips.
  • Hang again -- for 24 hours -- to dry

Note: A can with thinner will cover approximately 1000 pixels.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, »
I've found that most waterproofing doesn't seem to be needed in Colorado because its so dry here ... and no humidity.

Even the strobes from CLS ... no need for drain holes or anything here.

That said, I got some of the earlier nodes this year, so I am wondering how waterproof they really are.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, »
I'm about to receive my first shipment, and I heard that the lastest pixel strings are better than the earlier versions.
Rather than waste time and money in putting more layers, is it sufficient to just go with the factory treatment?

I'm inclined to do this... while not Florida, I did have my show from last year flooded out in Christmas day with GFI.  Texas can be dry (certainly this year it has been) but flash floods happen too.

Steve

Offline kauthier

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, »
Regarding your question about the thiner, I picked up some toluene in the paint section of our local hardware store. Home Hardware in my case here in Canada. I didn't know about the
65% toluene and 35% naphtha ratio bit so I guess I'll have to pick some up.  My problem is i can't seem to find the clear PlastiDip except in a spray can. I asked the folks a Home Hardware if they could bring some in and they said Clear was being discontinued. Does any one know where to get the stuff in Canada? Or maybe Detroit. I could make a trip over the border to get it. I did get my strings in September, so maybe I don't really need to dip them, but I thought Iwould anyway just to be safe. They are a bit of an investment.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, »
Because of the quantity (about 2500 pixels) I ordered both plastidip and thinner from US Plastics.  They have various sizes.

As this is considered hazardous material, I don't know about shipping across the border, but I saw a Canadian distributor in the list.

Offline Pete

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, »

Another good source for clear Plasti Dip and Plasti Dip Thinner is Toolmarts:

1 gal clear  $59.99

1 gal thinner  $26.99

Shipping is reasonable too  $8.95 California to Washington state.

Pete

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, »
A gallon is a lot of dipping!

I wish I could figure out a way to make it dry harder. it is weird it drys totally tack free on other stuff but it always fell like the back of a sticky note on the nodes. I even find this with other chemicals I tried.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, »
usplatics.com has it in a quart, and gallon size
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!