Author Topic: Pixel testing trouble  (Read 6194 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

Pixel testing trouble
« on: May 13, 2012, »
I just received a shipment of 128 node led pixel strings from Ray. On interesting thing is that there were NO splices anywhere on thses strings. The first shipment last year had numerous splices where bad nodes had been spliced out. The other thing I observed during my inspection is that these new pixels were smaller in diameter and the plastic covers will not fit.

I started testing some of them for bad nodes and have had some interesting test results.

I began testing using SSCs programmed with the test code.

Aside for some actual bad nodes I had some strings that after a varrying period of time that some of the pixels would show up with a rainbow of colors. It usually takes several minutes before these pixels start rainbowing, i.e. when most of the string should be red several pixels would be green, orange, purple etc. One other note that if I power down the string and restart the SSC test the rainbowing may or may not happen and in one case different pixels started doing the rainbowing.

I remove the string from the SSC and connect the TH2010 tester to the string and the same rainbow nodes respond as would be expected with the proper colors.

I am in a quandry as to which test I should trust for long term usage.

Offline keitha43

Re: Pixel testing trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, »
Had you replaced the original resistors with the new value ones? I am getting the version 2 ssc's from the coop which will work even better.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, »
I've seen this a lot.  Before you start cutting any strings, try the xlights tester.  When I did that most, but not all, of the rainbows went away.  There is something in the test firmware that seems to really stress the circuit boards in the lights.  Also most rainbows, for me, only occurred in strings that were over 100 pixels, mostly 128s.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, »
I changed the resistor to 180 ohm when the problem was first reproted.

I wish the wiki documents were put online for the v2 SSCs.

jnealand,

I am cutting my 128s down to 85s so we will see what happens. I am just going to ingore the rainbowing for the time being if they test ok on the TH2010 tester.

I have some of the new V2 on order. I hope that it's not a uncorrectable problem with the V1s.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, by MrChristmas2000 »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, »
I got a new batch of 128s that I've been sitting on for a couple months.
Started to test them today and the first 5 were looking good... then I added #6 and starting having problems. 
then, over the next 2 hours all but one of the first 5 started acting up with a big variety of problems.

frustrating.

very similar to my first batch 9 months ago... I cut the 128s down to 85 and I had few (if any) problems.

Yes, these were all built with the correct resistor (and the SSCs were used successfully in my show last year).

I have a healthy-sized power supply so I'm fairly sure I am not exhausting my power.  Also lowering the string count down to 3 didn't keep some of the working strings from failing.

So, back to 85.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, »
As a little demo of my testing I have made the following videos.

First I just connected the pixel string as show in this video.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Then I connected the same string to the TH2010 tester.

As you can clearly see there is a definite difference.

The strand is 82 pixels long.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, »
There are several threads about rainbows.  Go back to the November timeframe - pg 9 and 10 of the smart string topic.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline caretaker

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, »
One big thing I notice between the Smart String test and Ray's TH2010 test is that the Smart String turns on ALL pixel's at once while the TH2010 turns on one at a time.  Whether this has any bearing on things I don't know someone that understands the inner workings of the pixel would have to comment.
Jeff Squires

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, »
There are many different patters on Ray's TH2010. Some do turn them all on at once.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, »
I have set up another test bed as follows:

PC -- e-Dongle --- Active Hub - SSC - - - 85 pixel string

I  used the dongle to be sure that the SSC was programmed for 85 nodes. This is Ver1 SSC and Active hub.

Using xLights I setup one e1.31 domain of 512 channels.

Using the test xLights test mode I did the following.

In the Network 1 screen I select all my pixels.

Under the Availiable Test I select the RBG Cycle tab and the function 'A-B-C-All'.

I have varried the cycle Speed from slow (about 6) to Fast (100).

Speed didn't seem to make a difference in the results.

I am getting random off colors like when all of the pixels should be white there are random colored pixelx like red, green, orange ect appearing. There is no discernable pattern to the appearance of these off color pixels.

A quick demo video is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am next going to replace the e-Dongle with the USB Pixelnet Dongle to see if the random pixels continue.

Offline rwave

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, »
As someone who is new to all this, I am becoming somewhat nervous about the smart strings from Ray.  I was lucky enough to get into the most recent eD coop and Freebird's current coop.  Thus, I should have all the electronics I need for my first-ever Xmas show (not sure which year, though) . . .  ;D

It appears that what I am reading places doubt on my ability to purchase 20-30 SS and have them "just work".  Is it uncommon to receive a string from Ray, with all pixels working as they should?  Or, it is going to be an ongoing battle to keep them working properly?  I was hoping that once received and tested, they will just work reliably, so my time can be spent sequencing, of which I currently have zero experience.  Are my expectations unreasonable?

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, »
I wonder/worry the same things. :)

There are things you can do to improve your chances of lasting the season and avoiding repairs.

1. Get new IP68 pixels and avoid the IP67 from last year

2. Use paracord to bear the weight and tension of the strings

3. Use zip ties at close intervals... I am trying every 2 pixels this year.  It keeps down sag, and stress on the lights

4. Do burn-in before hanging the lights

5. Get spares to splice in for repairs

6. Avoid long lengths like 128s... 85s worked well for me.  Long introduces some problem... Voltage variation and rainbows?

7. WATERPROOF YOUR CONNECTIONS, particularly the cat5 to pigtails.

Do all of this and your chances of a great experience will increase dramatically.

I'm interested in the advice of others, too... :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, »
and stop uncoiling them every couple of days to play with them again!   >:D

even stranded wire can only take so much
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, »
I can tell you that I had some of worst (early) nodes from last year and even those I did get to work after extensive splicing and testing.  Yes, a large number were bad.

I ordered more nodes and had far better luck, but still had some that didn't work right. Ray always gave more than I ordered, and in the end I ended up with a fair number of extras, but the time spent splicing was significant.  I probably got a free string or so in the end.

I was in the end able to get everything to work, but the road was difficult at times --- and I definitely had many DIY moments where I wasn't at all sure I'd ever get it working.

Long story short, I literally felt many times like I was chasing my shadow, saw all the funky behaviors described above and then some ... and in many cases blamed the SSC, the nodes, the software ... just about everything ... and in the end it was usually user error or some slight oversight on my part., more often than it was the nodes.   Yes, sometimes I'd find one node that was broken and removing it often solved all my problems in a hurry.  Very often behavior up to that node was good and predictable, but behavior after that node was funky ... so when I started looked at where the problems started, it very often would lead you to the problem child node that needed to be removed. 

I've also seen completely wild behavior when the wires at the end of the nodes or strip are allowed to touch each other ... and found that just cutting them off and dipping them in liquid tape worked worked on solving my flex strip nightmares.

I also got so good at dealing with problem strings that I would often cut the string in half, then test either end.  Very often one side was fine.  I would then cut the problem side in half and continue narrowing the problem down by a half string at a time.

I found that in some instances, a node would be capable of displaying colors, but was not capable of relaying them on to the next node, or would be "slow" or sticky.  I also found some nodes would work fine inline, but did not work well as the first node.  Again, strange stuff like that would drive you nuts, but in the end it usually boiled down to either user error or one or two problem nodes that just needed to be removed or put somewhere else in the signal chain.  I honestly thing it works fine with 128 node strings, but the odds of a problem node are like doubled, so if you have one troublesome node ... then it makes the entire 128 look bad at first.  Its almost like Ray needs a lightkeeper pro device that can detects these troublemaker nodes somehow.

Some nodes could do RED, GREEN but not BLUE.   Other nodes could do say GREEN, BLUE but not RED.  These nodes would often appear to work using the TH2010 tester, but in reality they usually were not.  Sometimes the white would be "off color' because when one color wasn't working, the white was tinted and wasn't the same as the others.  So eliminating those nodes was critical to success on other nodes in the string and sometimes didn't matter.

To me it was very helpful to create a set of 10 nodes which I knew were reliable and would leave those hooked up to a test board with phillips screw connections ... and then I hooked some extra 3-pin quick connectors on the other side ... and that made things easier because when things start going bad, you start blaming software, SSC firmware, nodes, you name it.

I would say that while the quality sounds likes its improved a lot, this is not a road for the weak of heart.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rwave

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, »
Fellas,

Your experiences are not helping me feel better . . .  <md..

Any chance that Ray could acquire some Lynx hardware and do a 24-hr burn-in, while running a DLA "standard" diagnostic/performance repetitive test sequence?  And charge more for pre-tested strings?  I wonder how much time he spends exchanging strings/nodes instead of selling?  The argument against is that this is DIY, so low cost and we spend our time troubleshooting/soldering/pull out hair.  You know the saying, "What's time to a hog?".

Richard (from SoCal)   :)