Author Topic: Non-Traditional Songs for Christmas Lights Sequencing  (Read 1333 times)

Offline fredhag

I'm fairly ready for getting my lights up so I figure I'd procrastinate and sequence a new song for my Christmas playlist (I already finished procrastinating by building a fake wall on my garage with a fake bay window so I could do some projection stuff).  I usually sequence a song from the year's popular lists to pander to the crowd (I'm ashamed to say I did What Does the Fox Say and Gangnam Style in past years).  I haven't been listening to new stuff this year and I played around a little with editing a short medley of David Bowie and Prince music, but I don't think it will sound anything but strange to passers by so I'm thinking about doing something classic. 

So what are people's favorite non-Christmas songs they've sequenced for their shows?
Cheers,
Fred

Offline tbone321

Re: Non-Traditional Songs for Christmas Lights Sequencing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, »
I guess that the real question is.... Are you doing a Christmas light show or a light show at Christmas and there is a difference.  If you are sequencing to non Christmas songs then what is the purpose of the show?  I'm not saying not to do it but I really don't understand the purpose of it. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline fredhag

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, »
That's a good point.  Well, I do a predominantly Christmas show, but I see the light choreography as a fun art such that I imagine there being room for other music.  Friends have commented favorably (or at least humorously) about the pop songs (I've never done more than one within a 30-minute playlist), and I do songs like "Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin'" later in the evening.
Cheers,
Fred

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, »
Well, fair enough.  After all, the show is both for the people coming to see it as well as its creator and of you are not having fun doing it, then why bother. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline meman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, »
When I started animating my lighting, one of the first songs I sequenced was a non-Christmas tune called "Fascination". My son has severe Autism and it was one of his favorites. He would run around and lay in the grass to listen and watch...great joy. Over the years, he lost interest, but I left the song in rotation figuring "fascination" could still be justified by being fascinated by all the lights, etc.  A couple of years ago, a car drove by while it was playing and yelled out "Thats not even a Christmas song". I was guilted into removing it from the playlist.

But in the weeks that followed, I visited with folks who stopped by to watch. Many started asking what happened to "that other song"..they  liked it, and their kids wanted to hear it. So its back again, Christmas song or not.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Mike E.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, »
Do what you want and be proud of it!  One thing I've learned when I was a gigging musician (and as a human) you can't please everybody...  You will always sequence a song you're motivated by better than one you are not.  My personal fave non xmas: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."