Author Topic: Question about SS's  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Harley

Question about SS's
« on: January 11, 2013, »
How close to the CCR's are the SS when made with smart flex strips.

Trying to get plans together on a few things?
Harley in Louisiana

Yep im a n00b, i can break it and blow it up with the best of em

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Question about SS's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, »
What are CCRs ?

Besides that are you asking about length, brightness, cost, programming??

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, »
From what I recall the SS have more resolution but are shorter.  From memory, CCR are 16' long and flex strips are 13.5'.  CCR are controllable by 3 led sections at best but flex strips are individual pixel control.  Best of all SSC flex strips are much cheaper than CCR.  John Fogerty has nothing to do with CCR or flex strips... 

My house outline and windows are SS flex strips: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, »
What are CCRs ?

Rick R.

Lor's Color cosmic Ribbons. They were among the first companies that started offering RGB hardware. Followed closely by d-lights Firefly string of 16 pixels.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, »
What are CCRs ?

Rick R.

Lor's Color cosmic Ribbons. They were among the first companies that started offering RGB hardware. Followed closely by d-lights Firefly string of 16 pixels.

Oh thanks for the info  :)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Harley

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, »
AWESOME Show Zwiller.

Im thinking of using 12 SS's to make a kind of mega tree like this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

was asking if the SS's have this kind of control

sorry for the n00bish questions, but i wanna learn all i can, im loving what im seeing
Harley in Louisiana

Yep im a n00b, i can break it and blow it up with the best of em

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, »
Thanks.  I didn't really used the strips to their potential this year, but oh yeah, SS can do that. 

I remember that vid, cool 80's style arcade effect in there... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, »
The flex strips (from the wiki You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) are pretty much what the color cosmic ribbon from LOR is. Each pixel on the strip is controllable with a SSC using the pixelnet protocol.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, »
The flex strips (from the wiki You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) are pretty much what the color cosmic ribbon from LOR is. Each pixel on the strip is controllable with a SSC using the pixelnet protocol.

Except that the LOR CCR control chip is very low color resolution compared to the TM1804 and TM1809 chips used in Smart Strings. They were early on the market and haven't been upgraded as the technology has improved.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, »

Except that the LOR CCR control chip is very low color resolution compared to the TM1804 and TM1809 chips used in Smart Strings. They were early on the market and haven't been upgraded as the technology has improved.
+1
I believe that the CCRs have 150 lights, but they are grouped into 3 lights as a "pixel".  You have 150 lights that are treated as 50 pixels and 150 channels.
With the SSCs the same flex allows 120 lights -- and 120 pixels, for 360 channels.  A little shorter, but 3x resolution.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro