Author Topic: Plumbers Help (No Leak)  (Read 1297 times)

Offline mmais68569

Plumbers Help (No Leak)
« on: February 25, 2012, »
I have a roll of Pex Tubing that I am going to use on my roof this year & run Dumb Flex Strips through it. Problem is because it has been rolled it has that memory. What is the easiest way to get a straight line? I have it laid out in the sun but does not seem to be doing much good.

Thanks Mike

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Re: Plumbers Help (No Leak)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, »
You might be able to hang it from one end and put a light weight on the other end.

Rich

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, »
I don't think PEX was every designed to be a straight line (especially a roll of it)

You could try to heat up the PEX with a hairdryer or heat gun (low setting) and have it attached to something straight like angle iron, etc until it cools off

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, »
You could try to heat up the PEX with a hairdryer or heat gun (low setting) and have it attached to something straight like angle iron, etc until it cools off

+1

\dmc

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, »
I work with PEX all the time and it has a memory.  If you got it in roll form, it will want to retain that curve.  All heat will do is make it a little easier to bend or flex.  PEX was designed to work with both hot and cold water so unlike PVC, it is fairly resistant to heat.  If you want it straight you need to back flex it hard against the curve at room temperature and let it go to see if you bent it far enough.  Once you get it straight, it should stay that way but it's not always that easy to get it that way.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JDM1oc

Plumbers Help (No Leak)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, »
The pex I've picked up on a roll has memory and while it does take work, it can bent relatively straight.  It costs more but I prefer the straight lengths you can buy from home depot or lowes.

Offline Nightowlz1966

• I thought I had more extension cords
    • Christmas On The Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, »
Schedule 20 PVC also lets light through and is straight from the get go.
Brian Flanders
Sharpsburg Ga.
I Thought I Had More Extension Cords

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, »
Well it looks like I will be adding 100' of Pex arches to my display this year. I really need it to lay in a straight line.

Thanks
              Mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, »
Are you sure that PEX is what you want to use?  Pex is designed to be flexable and will probably not hold up all that well in bad weather such as heavy wind.  You would probably need to run some wire thru them to keep them from folding over.  Thin wall PVC would probably do a better job.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, »
The  display is in Florida so weather no big deal, second the arches will only be 8' section so should stand up. We will see what we shall see.

Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, »
 <pop..

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, »
Are you sure that PEX is what you want to use?  Pex is designed to be flexable and will probably not hold up all that well in bad weather such as heavy wind.  You would probably need to run some wire thru them to keep them from folding over.  Thin wall PVC would probably do a better job.

Most the folks that I have read about that use PEX use it in short sections 12-14 inches and that becomes a single section of an arch.  The sections are then slipped over regular pvc.  This make it easy to replace a bad section and to store the lights in the off season.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, »
I made 16 mini arches using 5 feet of 3/4 inch pex for each.  I wrapped them with 5 sets of 50 minis and they held up really well and straighten out for storage.  Have not tried to make anything taller yet. I'm curious to see what comes of your project.   <pop..

Josh