Author Topic: What can I do with the smart strings?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

What can I do with the smart strings?
« on: September 30, 2012, »
I under stand the light running, three different colors and white, starting from ether side, programming one pixels at a time or all at once.
What else can I do?
Can I do the same things I did with the Lynx Express?

Thanks

Mort
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline jeffcoast

Re: What can I do with the smart strings?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, »
In comparison to a Lynx Express, it would be like having 1 bulb plugged into 1 channel on an LE, you can do anything you want with that 1 bulb, instead of having 1 string of lights attached to that channel. Also, these bulbs can change color to whatever color you want them to be. The benefit is you don't have to run 5,000 wires all over your house to control those single bulbs, but they combine to 128 bulbs to 1 wire. You can turn them off and on, and do twinkles, chases, and whatever you could do with an LE.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, »
Thanks Jeff. Thanks great.
Still working on the hardware part.
The new up dates on firmware sounds interestind with group sounds like some thing that will help me
with what I want to do.

Still have a problem with find a way to keep the voltage at 12 volts.
I can't find a dc regulator/inverter/step up or step down that has a variable input with a 12 volt output that will to stablize the voltage.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, »
Mort, I have seen prior posts where RJ has stated that Battery Level voltages (13.2vdc) instead of 12vdc is not a problem for Smart Strings.

I know you were also concerned about the Etherdongle and Conductor. I haven't seen him weigh in on that, but that is why RJ puts voltage regulators on EVERYTHING.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I under stand the light running, three different colors and white, starting from ether side, programming one pixels at a time or all at once.
What else can I do?
Can I do the same things I did with the Lynx Express?

Thanks

Mort

mort how many smart strings will you have on your horse? We now have single strand effects on Nutcracker. take as many strings as you want , any number of pixels per string. The software concatenates them into a super virtual strand.  Now as you wrap you can segment different sections (for example if you wrapped strings on your horses legs (probably not a good idea), but you could pick solid colors for the four legs, separate from teh effects that you have wrapped around the saddle.

see this thread on single strand effects You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i recorded a 1/2 hour discussion about
1)  projects
2) single_strand effects

here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

if you post a sketch of your horse and how you plan on hanging the lights, i will help you get it sequenced in nutcracker.

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, »
OK. I guess I'm loosing some thing here.
I plan On having 3 128 smart strings.
Voltage I have on the battery is 12.8v to 14.4v. at 40 AMPS
I don't want the smart strings to self destruct.
If the SSC has a regulator on it what is the range?
Can I use this my battery?
Nutcracker? Sounds interesting. Thanks I will read up on it.
I was going to use three ssc with the conductor and 4 port passive hub.
This is not my horse but will give you a idea of what I'm looking too do.
1. Start at the bridle (head piece) one set of lights on each side of horse
on top going down the reins. 25 lights each side. Thne blank wire.
2. To the breast caller 12 each side.
3. Blank wire to first cinch. 12 lights
4. Blank wire to second cinch. Then 12 lights.
5. blank wire to beeching hard ware. 60 light from front to back both sides.
6. Third light ss. fill in beeching hard ware and use the rest to go round the saddle.
Maybe do a circle line around the saddle some garland in the front and back of saddle.
Have to see how much room I have. Have to measure up every thing.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, »
OK. I guess I'm loosing some thing here.
I plan On having 3 128 smart strings.
Voltage I have on the battery is 12.8v to 14.4v. at 40 AMPS
I don't want the smart strings to self destruct.
If the SSC has a regulator on it what is the range?
Can I use this my battery?
Nutcracker? Sounds interesting. Thanks I will read up on it.
I was going to use three ssc with the conductor and 4 port passive hub.
This is not my horse but will give you a idea of what I'm looking too do.
1. Start at the bridle (head piece) one set of lights on each side of horse
on top going down the reins. 25 lights each side. Thne blank wire.
2. To the breast caller 12 each side.
3. Blank wire to first cinch. 12 lights
4. Blank wire to second cinch. Then 12 lights.
5. blank wire to beeching hard ware. 60 light from front to back both sides.
6. Third light ss. fill in beeching hard ware and use the rest to go round the saddle.
Maybe do a circle line around the saddle some garland in the front and back of saddle.
Have to see how much room I have. Have to measure up every thing.

Hi Mort; I will use your horse as a demo of how single strand effects can be used on any object. You have already solved the major issue which is to have wier added to strecth the next pixel to arrive at the next starting position

I create a model called HORSE under my account. Your segments from 1-5 do not add up to 256 pixels, so i added one more segment to have it finish before the last ss was started. You just said you were going to wrap the last one around the saddle. I arbitrarily divided the last string into four segments of 32 pixels each. Thse segment numbers are very easy to move around and adjust once you wrap the horse.

Here is first page of MODEL screen for effect Horse

Here is the second screen of MODELS where you can see how your virtual strand of 384 pixels has been divided.

One more view of teh second MODELS form. This is the last table, here you can see how many pixels each segment has. These should match what you stated in your post.
This is the table you modify to adjust the lengths of each segment.

EFFECTS: Now we go on to applying effects to our HORSE model

Here is the effect screen. There are 13 sections where you can adjust the animated effects. You pick color1 and color2 , how many pixels wide they are and you get a chase. IF both colors are the same, then the segment will just display a solid color.

Here are the effect values i used

I use the arch gif model to simulate your horse since i dont have a Horse model. Just start at the left, each loop is a segment for your horse. The first two arches are 25 pixels each, the next four are 12 pixels each and so on.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, »
I will have to think on this a bit.
Question
Do I still use 3 SSC's with Nutcracker one string?
Is this just a easy way to control smart strings in software?
Can I still do all the same things I did with express?

Also still looking to see if I can use a battery strait to the 4 port passive hub
with out a voltage regulator? Voltage 12.8v to 14.4v 40 amp?

Offline rm357

What can I do with the smart strings?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, »
Assuming you are using a lead acid battery, the real voltage is just 12.8. Anything above that will drain off pretty rapidly when you hook something up. Chargers usually run between 13.2 and 15 volts depending on where they are in the charge cycle.

The 12.8 shouldn't hurt anything, but I would test using a couple of nodes attached to an ssc with the test firmware. Let it run for an hour or so. If they don't burn out, you'll know... And yes, that is with the 4 port hub hooked strait to the battery. Just be sure to insulate stuff so it cannot short out... Shorted batteries of that size are no fun...

I would definitely disconnect the hub before hooking the battery back to your charger.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, »
Just keep in mind that with a LE or similar AC powered controller ... you turn on/off an ENTIRE STRING of whatever you have plugged into that channel, or fade it up or down.  Thats it, there is no changing of colors or culb level control  ... just string/item level control ... and usually one color per channel, because you usually plug a string (or strings) of same color into each channel ... and traditional AC power for each string/item plugged into that channel.  So in that world, to change colors, you plug in a red string on channel 1 and a green string on channel 2 and a clear string on channel 3.   Those controllers tend to be 16 channel per (most common) and a pretty high cost per channel.

When you start talking about smart strings, now your talking about being able to control "each bulb" and 3 channels (R,G,B) to control the color of each bulb, potentially.  You can also treat them like a string if you want (either in software and/or using various string and/or hybrid modes by programming the SSC for such use).  You can also buy a slightly cheaper "dumb string" and use a DSC (vs. a SSC) to control the string, but now the string can change colors, just not "per bulb" on a dumb string ... and a dumb string requires 3 channels to control the entire string.

So while a traditional 3 color megatree used to require 16 x 3 (for 3 colors, say red, green, clear) ... a smart string megatree would require just 16 strings ... and each string is capable of ANY color you want.  You can also do a lot more than just spins around the tree and color changes. 

The smart strings are using 12v power vs. traditional AC power ... and because of this, the ATX power supply that feeds the SS HUB, can then inject power for the attached smart strings over the cat5 between the SS HUB and the SSC (smart string controllers).

And when you consider a $100 Etherdongle can potentially control (up to) 16k pixelnet channels ... and each $10 SSC can potentially control (128 x 3), or 384 pixelnet channels ... you can quickly see its a different animal ... lots more channels, but more channels required to control also, esp. if your intersted in bulb level (vs. string level) control. 

DSC allows a middle ground of using slightly cheaper "dumb strings" and a DSC (vs. a SSC) ... and then 3 channels controls the entire RGB string, but no 'bulb level' control is possible, but its still pretty awesome when compared to say using 3 AC channels to control three different colored strings of lights.

I forgot that your doing a battery powered show??  But if you are, check into the LiOn 12v battery packs available on ebay.  They are rechargable, about $10 each ... and quite a bit of capacity on each pack.  I've used some of those, but don't know exactly how long they'd last for a lot of smart strings.  My use was for a portable display item that my kids could wear.  I also did a different sized pack to power a Lynx Tx (in DMX recv mode) ... and it works fine using a 8v power pack, same source.  MOst of the battery packs are 12v, but they also have them in other voltages, like the 8.4 volt I used for the Tx.  I ran it by RJ and because the different between 8.4 and 7 is less, there isn't the problem you'd have trying to run a Tx using 12v pack.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, »
I'm using a lithium battery charges up 14.4 to down to 11.3 with 40 amps. No charging while in use.
What I really need to know is what is the beaking point on the volts
on the low and high on the 4 port passive hub. I was told RJ put a regulator in the
SSC.

How will this work with my battery?
Does the SSC have a low and a high voltage that it will work?
I mean will it shut off if I go to low or to high?
Were is the point that the lights will not be working
corrrectly?
Do I need a regulator?

Here's the battery specs one battery.

•2/3 Size of Comparable Lead Acid Batteries
•1/3 Weight of Comparable Lead Acid
Batteries
•Wide Operating Temperature: -4 to 150 F ( -20 to 65 C)
•90% Capacity Available at -40F (-20C)
•Competitive Price
•Advanced, Low Impedance Terminals
•Will not explode or catch fire when shorted or punctured
•Nominal Voltage: 3.2 V
•Nominal Capacities: 40 Ah
•Second Generation LiFeMnPO4 chemistry
•Operating Voltage Range: 2.8 to 3.6 V
•Flat Discharge Curve
•High Max Charging Current: 3C
â– High Max Discharge Current: 3C, 10C Peak
•Long Cycle Life : >2000 (80%DOD)
•Low Self Discharge Rate: <3% monthly
•Can Be Operated in Any Position
•Includes Bus Bars, Covers, Screws and Washers

Here is the specs for four batteries. Down loaded.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, »
I was told RJ put a regulator in the SSC.

I posted that but want to clarify - only the SSC is regulated. It has 3.3vdc and 5vdc regulators (they are lying flat on the board). The full battery voltage goes to the actual Smart Strings.

They can handle the battery voltage (just not on a charger). The 4 port passive hub could care less about voltage. It has no active components to care.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, »
At 14.4 volts you are running the lights much hotter than they normally run so I can not say but you may have nodes fail. Might not can not say with out hooking up some and testing which I am not doing.

The EtherDongle cannot be feed 14.4 volts without the Main regulator getting too hot. As posted it needs to say in the 7.5 - 9 volt range to be best.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, »
Thanks RJ. No problem.

Ok what is the most that I can run the 4 port passive hub with 4 SSC and smart strings on then to be safe.
I will need a regulator on that?
I take it the low end is OK?

The conductor I can run on a different battery power as long as it is with in 7.5volts and 9 volts. I think that can happen.

Thanks

Mort