Author Topic: what this hobby needs  (Read 1914 times)

Offline shaunkad

what this hobby needs
« on: January 09, 2014, »
I have been reading a few how to books for my other hobby and realised that they're are none for this obsesion.

Offline arw01

Re: what this hobby needs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, »
Then a true expert could likely get an animated "christmas" displays for dummies book contract, spend a year writing it, and make no money  ;)

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, »
There a few people that have gone expert and published how to books. I have not seen any very recently though.

This hobby is so dynamic that by the time a book could be written it would be out of date.

Offline jim saul

• The Computer Hero Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, »
Absolutely! I'm waiting on pixels because there will be too many changes between now and next season, no less a "dated" book.

Plus who would want to deal with the outrage because you told someone to use brand x over brand y

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, »
I think its a good idea.  I'm surprised there are not more ebooks on the topic.  THere are some pretty nice pdf(s) which are like little books in themselves almost.

I remember reading one book at my library which was for the hobby, but even by 2008 standards it was out of date ... and focused a lot on a few DIY projects that didn't apply to most people.
There pictures were horrible and in the end I got very little out of it.  I get more out of reading boards, attending meetings with other enthusiasts personally.

One problem is how out of date some of the material could become and also the very limited audience in the eyes of a publisher.

The other is that your getting the opinion of the author and that might be very biased or it might not be.  But in my experience most people are very biased towards whatever they have been using whether its the best or not.  Again, what is "best" is very subjective.  Whats your budget?  Whats your skill level to build and solder?  Whats your location?  What kind of time do you have throughout the year?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, »
I think this hobby is way too dynamic for a book to be written.  I'm happy soaking up knowledge from this website and others.  Hardware-wise things change - eg the different versions of SSCs - heck, you don't even need a traditional computer/laptop anymore.  Software-wise things change - eg Nutcracker has evolved quite a bit from the first release nearly 2 years ago - and in that time 2 more free sequencers (HLS and Vixen+) have come online.

My sequencing "philosophy" has changed a few times compared to my first show in 2011 to now in part because 1) my show is becoming more pixel based, 2) my experiences with what works/doesn't work and other techniques I "borrow".

I would consider this era to be the "golden age" of Christmas lighting lots of exciting things happening that make what we do fun.  It moves fast though!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, by mms »
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, »
There is also the issue of what support is available to you.  Besides websites and forums there may be experienced people near to you that will help you and guide you.  We see similar questions come up in other hobbies like model railroading and digital command control systems.  I always tell folks to buy what their friends, who will help them, have.  Being a lone ranger with what you think is the best buy/performer won't be much fun if it does not work and no one is around who can help you.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, »
I always tell folks to buy what their friends, who will help them, have.

+1

As I have told my friends and family, they are welcome to buy Windows-based machines but I won't be able to help them, since I only know about Macintoshes. Lots of Macs around here.

On the point of a book, I am in the midst of publishing a "getting started in the xxx hobby" one right now and it is a pain in the butt. I have a number of writers (all way experienced iin this hobby) contributing and more than one has submitted an inaccurate statement or three.

\dmc

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, »
 ;)I'm afraid the 'xxx' hobby book may suffer from some of  the same issues as animated lighting hobby.  Things change quickly!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, by IndianaChristmas »

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, »
+1

Its kinda like bass fishing.. a 1000 ways to fish a worm, but the environment at hand and the particular items used yield many variable results

Offline drlucas

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, »
I though if the wind is from the east the fish bite, wind from the west not so much. Perhaps that's why I only fish walleye with worms and down riggers and hope for the best
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline Rogelio

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, »

On the point of a book, I am in the midst of publishing a "getting started in the xxx hobby" one right now and it is a pain in the butt.
\dmc

Am I the only one who caught the "getting started in Triple X is a pain in the butt" comment??? :o   Or do I just have a knack of reading things the wrong way. :)

Offline drlucas

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, »
I wasn't touching that one!
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, »
I though if the wind is from the east the fish bite, wind from the west not so much. Perhaps that's why I only fish walleye with worms and down riggers and hope for the best

Works well here on Lake Erie and for perch as well. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."