Author Topic: Converting Cheap Clear Lights Into Orange and Purple Lights  (Read 1461 times)

Offline dmoore

Building a Halloween item this year and all you have "in stock" is a pallet full of cheap clear lights you got years ago and what you need is those expensive purple and orange lights?  Problem solved - and cheap and easy no less.  We've provided a write-up on how to do this on our website here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
That is an awesome idea.  Looks easy to do.  Thank you for sharing that with us.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline SGInut

I've been using a similar technique but use transparent glass paint sold at craft stores.  You can either brush it on or use a small airbrush.  Lots of really nice deep colors are available and with the various 50% off coupons most these stores have, you can get enough to do 2k bulbs for under $1.

Offline dmoore

I've been using a similar technique but use transparent glass paint sold at craft stores.  You can either brush it on or use a small airbrush.  Lots of really nice deep colors are available and with the various 50% off coupons most these stores have, you can get enough to do 2k bulbs for under $1.

I looked on the web (I'll confess I don't go to many craft stores) and what I found mostly is hand applied paint in a jar or tube (ie You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) as you mention.  Do you by chance have any that come in a standard rattle can or are they all just brush on (or thinned to work in air brush systems)?  Do you have any sample photos showing what they look like?

Offline SGInut

Sure.  The paint I used is by Delta, called Transparent Glass Paint (here is a link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).  I buy mine from either Michael's or AC Moore in the larger bottles and combining the sale price (4 times a year I see them on sale) + the 50% off coupon, I can pick them up for right around $1/bottle.  To apply, I use a cheap air brush (Harbor Freight does this one for $4.95 on sale sometimes You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) thinning it out about 20-30%. Take a piece of scrap pegboard or cardboard with holes, poke the lights through (I'm OCD about not having over-spray on the wires) and spray away.  One good coat using this paint will yield a rich deep color that doesn't cut down on the light output. Two years and the paint is holding up quite well on my oldest set.  I using this technique on my C9's this year as the quality of what is coming out these days really sucks (plus I can find 5w C9's in clear but not in color).

As an aside, you can use their enamel glass paint to give your lights that frosted ceramic look.

Offline kjam22

I tried using the Krylon Metal X red on a set last night and the results were less than impressive.  I am going to try the transparent glass paint next to see if I get a better result.

Offline dmoore

I tried using the Krylon Metal X red on a set last night and the results were less than impressive.  I am going to try the transparent glass paint next to see if I get a better result.

Can you tell me what issues you had with it - is it brightness, color quality, adheasion?  Could you post a photo of the resulting lights?

Offline kjam22

I am not sure that it will show up in a picture, but the lights look great before they are plugged in, but once plugged in they really don't have a "good" red color.  I tried painting them in a bundle like the pdf indicated, then I took them apart and tried to paint them individually.  I airbrush RC cars so I have some equipment laying around to try the glass paint.  Hopefully I will get to it this weekend and I will post my results.

It may have just been the red, but I didn't want to waste $5 on another can of a different color just for fun!

Offline SGInut

Here is my display from last year.  My camera doesn't do this justice at all.  The house and pole lights are black-light bulbs for comparison.  The lights are all Lowes brand 100ct strands from 2009 year-end stock.  Bushes are painted with Delta Iridescent Purple/Blue, the tree is painted with Delta Iridescent Orange/Gold.  I thinned the purple/blue 50/50 and the orange/gold 60/40 with Delta conditioner (it's a primer).

Offline dmoore

I've done a bit more research on this process and discovered that DupliColor's "MetalCast" paints appear to work even better and they even sell orange (though I've not yet tried this color.)  I've updated the instructions and links located here:

Here is a sample of incandescent purple lights:

Offline Greg

Re: Converting Cheap Clear Lights Into Orange and Purple Lights
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, »
Sure.  The paint I used is by Delta, called Transparent Glass Paint

Just curious, did you use the surface conditioner Delta recommends or skip that procedure?

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline SGInut

Re: Converting Cheap Clear Lights Into Orange and Purple Lights
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, »
Yes.  I mix it in with the paint.