Author Topic: 500 ft of 16/2 Landscape Wire $87.40  (Read 1892 times)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
500 ft of 16/2 Landscape Wire $87.40
« on: December 14, 2011, »
I saw this spool of wire at Home Depot and was wondering if it would be okay to use to make homemade extension cords for hooking lights to controllers. It is rated at 150V and the price is right. What do you guys think about using it?

Rich

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: 500 ft of 16/2 Landscape Wire $87.40
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, »
I used this 18-2 wire.  It was perfect for the vampire plugs we got.  It's a little cheaper too.  $41/250 ft.  I'm on my 2nd spool.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Steve
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, »
I used this 18-2 wire.  It was perfect for the vampire plugs we got.  It's a little cheaper too.  $41/250 ft.  I'm on my 2nd spool.

Steve

Are you using that with SPT-1 or SPT-2 plugs?

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, »
To think, I payed over $100.00 front per 500' rolls. I need to do my homework. Thanks for the post. What about the vampire plugs? I bought mine at aachristmas for 100 count for $100.00 as well.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, »
To think, I payed over $100.00 front per 500' rolls. I need to do my homework. Thanks for the post. What about the vampire plugs? I bought mine at aachristmas for 100 count for $100.00 as well.

There are a handful of different styles of vampire plugs.  $1/plug seems on the high side.  I believe I paid $0.37/plug not counting shipping.  However, I routinely see them for $0.70/plug on many other sides.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, »
O well, I guess I overpaid. can you send a link for the suppliers you use for the vampire plugs?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, »
Vampire plugs
   SPT1 female 
      39 cents each (must buy 50)

SPT1 male
      37 cents each (must buy 50)

SPT2 female
      39 cents each (must buy 50)

SPT2 male
      must be out of stock currently

SPT1 cord
   250ft $35.10

SPT2 cord
   250ft / $60.00

500ft / $88.64
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, »
the wire in the original post is rated to 150 volts.  i believe that means it has thinner insulation.  i can't remember off hand, but i think most cable that carries 120volts (US) is rated for 600volts meaning it has a thicker insulation. i think the wire in the original post could carry the electricity in a temporary situation (on paper) but it might be easier to break through the insulation especially for an animal.

Offline inzeos

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, »
the wire in the original post is rated to 150 volts.  i believe that means it has thinner insulation.  i can't remember off hand, but i think most cable that carries 120volts (US) is rated for 600volts meaning it has a thicker insulation. i think the wire in the original post could carry the electricity in a temporary situation (on paper) but it might be easier to break through the insulation especially for an animal.

Yeah, most of the 120v cabling does indeed use insulation rated for 600v.

Landscaping wire mentioned in the original post is intended for low voltage landscape lighting or Aether II's :)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, »
It is not the thickness of the insulation but the type used.  Landscape wire insulation tends to be thicker than house or lamp wire insulation but it is also UV resistant and much more flexable.  That may be a problem with these vampire plugs becase the thickness of the insulation may prevent them from closing properly.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, »
but still, i'm not sure i'd run 120volts through a cable only rated for 25% more voltage.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, »
Paranoia will destroy ya...  I would be more concerned with the insulation being to thick for the plugs then I would be with the voltage rating, especially if it is rated at 25% ABOVE the expected voltage.  One must remember that this is a short term temporary setup for outside lights with little to no human contact, not a permanent indoor connection with a much higher risk of injury.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, »

Steve

Are you using that with SPT-1 or SPT-2 plugs?

SPT-2
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, »
Paranoia will destroy ya...  I would be more concerned with the insulation being to thick for the plugs then I would be with the voltage rating, especially if it is rated at 25% ABOVE the expected voltage.  One must remember that this is a short term temporary setup for outside lights with little to no human contact, not a permanent indoor connection with a much higher risk of injury.

I have to agree with you. Besides, if we look at the wires on our lights they are much smaller diameter than any of the SPT wire most of us use and the insulation is thinner also. I was thinking for the price it is a possibility for use.

Rich

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, »

I have to agree with you. Besides, if we look at the wires on our lights they are much smaller diameter than any of the SPT wire most of us use and the insulation is thinner also. I was thinking for the price it is a possibility for use.

Rich
Its only on for a couple hours a day and only for a month once a year. I think we are all good.