Author Topic: 5050 Flex strip lighting  (Read 2804 times)

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
5050 Flex strip lighting
« on: July 02, 2012, »
I am looking for some strip lighting for a project at home.  I want to replace the lighting in our cabinets and closets from fluorescent to LED.  I was looking at some 12V 5050 strips. I want them in cool white.  There are a ton of choices on ebay and the like.  Does anyone have a preference on one or the other. I am looking for the most light possible.  Do they make strips with LED's brighter than the 5050's? Suggestions on something other than strips.  T8 led tubes???? Anyone use them?

Thanks,

Brian

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: 5050 Flex strip lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, »
I actually just did this for under cabinet lighting in my kitchen.  My wife loves it.  Ill get you some pictures and what I actually got when I get home.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, »
Get the 60 LEDs per meter(300leds/5M).

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, »
I've thought about doing the same, but in the overhead lights which are fluorescent tubes. I saw the replacement ones, but figured I could just remove the fixtures and replace with flex strips, but I wondered about the light output and how many I would need. What would be the equivalent of a 4 ft tube?
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline angus40

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, »
here is the type of strip you need for good lighting replacement with leds.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, »
I actually just did this for under cabinet lighting in my kitchen.  My wife loves it.  Ill get you some pictures and what I actually got when I get home.

Twooly - Can you share your pics and all?  I am looking to do the same as well.  We're yours $27.00 a stick as well?

Thanks
- Mark

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
5050 Flex strip lighting
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, »

Twooly - Can you share your pics and all?  I am looking to do the same as well.  We're yours $27.00 a stick as well?

Thanks

Yep I'll get it sorry been busy the past few nights.

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, »

Have you used these replacement tubes?  How is the light output?

I've thought about doing the same, but in the overhead lights which are fluorescent tubes. I saw the replacement ones, but figured I could just remove the fixtures and replace with flex strips, but I wondered about the light output and how many I would need. What would be the equivalent of a 4 ft tube?

I also thought of doing this in the kitchen.  Just pulling out the fluorescent fixtures and putting flex strips in their place.  Maybe cheaper than the replacement tubes.

Offline angus40

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, »
To get the same saturation as  fluorescent you will need a higher count strip than we use in our displays.

30 and 60 count is ok for localized lighting . the do get costly though . the led tube type replace ment is the mose economical.

here are other choices.

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, »

How would these do if the ballasts are bad? I have a couple that I replaced the old bulbs and they are having trouble lighting again.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline angus40

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, »
Here is the kicker , cree leds are the ones to specify . There is no great push in north america to conver t to ledlighting.

If we all converted tomorow the energy companies would go broke due to lack of revenue.
many would be unemployeed. thus the expense to convert slows the process.

If you intend to order any light element from china there is the  question of " will it fit your fixture and is it supported by the fixture.

The lighting element you show is 270$ and min order of 10, i would suggest contacting the vendor and asking for a sample .ie) 1 pc to make sure.

I have a customer that purchased 40 x g-23 lights from ray wu , ray sent g-24 by mistake .they do not fit  in the fixture , shipping back to china is 500$ Canadian funds.

the lights were 240$ Canadian.

So be very cautious when purchasing from china and get all the info from the vendor you can prior to committing a purchase order.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
5050 Flex strip lighting
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, »
Here are a couple pics.  One showing output and the other the strip under the cabinet.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, »
and this is the strip I got for it

Offline rm357

5050 Flex strip lighting
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, »
I have ordered several of the 4' LED fluorescent tube replacements and been very pleased with the results.

On the ones that I have, you bypass the ballast. Connect hot to one end and neutral to the other. One set actually came with stickers to label the fixture warning that a regular fluorescent tube should not be installed without reconnecting the ballast.

I don't have access the order information right now, but it seems like I paid $55/tube. I think they were rated for 1850 lumens and are as bright as the tubes they replaced for half the watts and none of the heat...

I like the ones with ~300 LEDs better than the ones with 20x1watt LEDs, (I ordered two different types) but they both work great. One of them is instant on while the other takes about a second to come on, but it still comes on faster than the fluorescents did.

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

5050 Flex strip lighting
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, »
Daylight white Fluorescent tubes in the left fixture, led tubes in the right fixture. The LEDs put off less light to the sides and more in the down direction.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA