Author Topic: Be careful on the heat gun temp. control  (Read 543 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Be careful on the heat gun temp. control
« on: September 07, 2011, »
Ok,

So I got this very reasonable heat gun from MPJA
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And its been working fine for heat shrink ... but I felt it seemed about as powerful as a hair dryer.  IN other words, it works fine, but wasn't as hot as expected.

Then (stupid me) ... I discovered that there is a heat adjustment dial on the back which clearly indicates (in color) either "hotter" (this way) or "cooler" (the other way).  I noticed I had been using it on the coolest setting.  No wonder it was kinda slow?!

So stupid me, typical man reaction ... I turned it up to the hottest setting possible ... thinking: yeah, here we go!! ... and I used it maybe 20 seconds ... and wow, its was REALLY HOT !!!  <md.. 

Then I turned it off, feeling very satisfied ... but then noticed smoke coming out of the gun vents ....   >:D... lol ... oh goodness, it was way too late for a fire!  Excitement turned to other emotions.

Then I turned it back down (cooler!) ... and turned it back on (thinking maybe it would cool it down?) ... and the smoke disappeared and it seemed to still be working!  I don't think I torched it.

Anyways, just be careful with the heat setting ... because I'm now pretty afraid to set it very high now, because of the instant smoke experience last night.  I probably could turn it up a bit, and probably should have experimented a little smarter than I did ... instead of going bonkers with the heat setting !!!  Beware of self combustion mode.

LOL  <fp.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Be careful on the heat gun temp. control
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, »
When they are new and have never ben cranked up they tend to do that.  Another trick is to turn it back down and let it run for a few minutes before shutting it down.  That will cool it down some and stop it from smoking like that.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, »
My super duper fancy dancy Ace Hardware heat gun only has 2 settings: Super Hot and molten lava hot. I can make almost anything smoke. ;D

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, »
the smoke you were smelling probably was the mfg/shipment/storage oil on the fins.  I have electric heat here at the house, and get it the 1st time i fire them up every season - smells bad....  :-\