Author Topic: best place for cheap 1000ct 4" black UV zip ties / cable ties ?  (Read 875 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
I know this has probably been asked before, but since I can't find anything looking, I thought I'd ask.

I've been buying the 4" black zip ties from HD, but was wondering where I could the same quality for less?

I've heard monoprice, but nothing indicates that are the same quality or UV resistant.

I also saw northerntool had a UV rated ties in 1000pk for around $7.99 and it maybe the cheapest thus far.

Found another site with 1000 for $4.69 but was not clear if they were UV or not.

I probably need to get 3000-5000 or so.

THanks, Scott / taybrynn
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Scott,
I may be wrong, but I don't think you need to worry about UV protection if they are only going to be out in the weather for your Christmas show.
I used the cheapest zip ties I could find and didn't have a single failure last year.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thats what I used to think also.  However, I did have massive rate of failure on some cheaper zip ties one year ... and ever since I have been buying the better ones.  It could have just been a bad batch.

I don't know if it matters, but at 6500' ... the light is pretty intense in Colorado. 

I am pretty tempted to try the zip ties from monoprice ... it appears I can get 5000 ties for $12. 

This is to put on a spiral megatree which will not be re-assembled yearly ... meaning it will remain assembled, so I would hope to get about 3-4 years out of it, before the mini lights get faded.  After that I would probably convert it to RGB or retire from the insanity.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
Monoprice.com has the cheapest I have found. Just got in 5000 8" black ties

Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Hows the quality on those monoprice zip ties ?

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
I have used them for a couple of years with no problems. I order the 8" ties instead of the 4", that way when I need them a little longer it's there. I really like them. I order greens and blacks.

Donny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffcoast

I can't comment on the quality of any of the zip ties, but do have a tip for when you need one longer than you have. Just use 2 and hook the ends of them into the other one. Could even make a chain if you needed a really long one.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thanks all ... I ordered from monoprice, since I had to order a bunch of cat5 cables for my smart strings anyways.