Author Topic: Best way to clear a PCB hole of solder?  (Read 5840 times)

Offline inzeos

Best way to clear a PCB hole of solder?
« on: November 14, 2011, »
Replacing a component on one of my devices.  Got it out; however, the majority of the holes are filled in with solder.  I've tried heating a few times and did multiple solder sucker vacuums as well as hit it with the braid a few times.  Still enough solder in their to close off the hole.  Can't really re-heat and push through since it is a 5 legged component that needs to go in.

I'm thinking maybe carefully drilling it out w/ a tiny bit?

Offline NeverBRich

Re: Best way to clear a PCB hole of solder?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, »
Heating from one side and solder sucking it out the other is the best way.......Drilling out the hole is an option....but in my experience when drilling it out,  the solder pads sometimes comes with it.  <yk.. So take care if you decide to drill.  Again  maybe others will agree or disagree.......But this is MHO  :o

Tim

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, »
I'd also caution against a drill.
I have a number of boards that I'd acquired that were done incorrectly.  It's a hassle but I'm getting better at desoldering.
There are some desoldering stations, but to pull more money into lights and less into tools I've opted to use a plastic desoldering spring-loaded tool along with my soldering iron.  I melt the solder and put the sharp point of my iron through the hole and suck up the solder from the other side.  It actually looks very clean with each hole that I do.  Just get a fine-pointed iron.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, »
I have a helper grab a sewing needle with pliers and push it through as I heat it up.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, »
You can also use the solder sucker and blow out the hole while you heat.  Make sure the path you are blowing is clear.  I use a wet sponge to blow into and it works just fine. Heat one side and blow from the other.

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, »
I have found the $11.00 desolder tool from radio shack the best and simple wat to desolder you will LOVE it

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff

Offline meman

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, »
Agree...best $12 I ever spent. No braid or handheld bulb can come close to the ease and perfect cleanout this tool does. I'm a cheapskate and tried everything else under the sun before buying the "right" tool for the job last year....life has been good ever since. 

Mike E.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, »
Desoldering was a big problem for me before I got the RS deoldering tool.  Now I seldom have a problem and if some solder is left using a little braid to finish up clears it right up.  Some of the best money I've ever spent on a tool to end frustration and aggravation..
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline paul58

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, »
I just  have the squeeze bulb. I heat with an iron and then blow it through. Sometimes I save a few of the leads that get cut off and hold them with pliers and heat the pad and run the lead through the hole several times to remove some solder then blow it out.

Offline rm357

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, »
If most of the solder is out, but there is still enough there to close the hole, I find it easier to add more solder to fill the hole before sucking it out with the solder sucker. I have the RS tool, but if it's just a couple of leads I usually just reach for the spring loaded pen type.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline khague

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, »
If the desoldering braid isn't working then put some liquid soldering flux on the braid first.  Whenever solder doesn't want to flow, add flux.

Offline jess_her

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, »
Ok what I do is to use some flushing side cutters to remove the componet. Then with a small screwdriver and soldering iron heat the pin and use the screwdriver to pinch the pin into the iron pulling the pin out. then I use a solder sucker or solder wick to remove the remaining solder. BUT if I cant get the solder out of the hole in about 3 to 4 seconds then I just add a little more solder. I think whats happening is that your adding a little more flux with the solder so when you re suck it or use a wick it will come right out. Now I use a lot of heat 800F.  I don't hang around on the board, no more than 3 to 4 seconds for fear I might damage the board Its very rare that I can't clear the hole after adding just a dab more solder. My rule for me is if I can't get whatever is stuck in the hole out, just reflow a little more solder.
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline zwiller

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, »
Tried using some flux with some braid on a stubborn hole and it worked like a champ!  Thanks.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline injury

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, »
Another vote for the Radio Shack Desoldering tool. Much easier just getting its tip in there (and it being hollow usually fits quite nicely over any leads or wire sticking through) than the double hand heat/suck method.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just  have the squeeze bulb. I heat with an iron and then blow it through.

I'd be careful blowing molten solder around. Squeeze first then suck it into the bulb.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, »
If you do not have a desoldering tool... I have seen people heat the hole with the solder until it melts and then tap the pcb on the bench.  The molten solder will come out of the hole - the momentum makes the solder continue to move but the pcb has stopped moving.  You need to be careful doing this but it does work in a pinch.