Author Topic: New SSC  (Read 49277 times)

Offline keitha43

Re: New SSC
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2013, »
I would like to know the distance between the SSC and the first node that people were originally testing with that had absolutely NO problems with flicker or "all on" white as described above. If it were in the 6-8 foot range I would think it was good enough for the COOP. But I still would like to find out the max range you could go without problems as it would be more important for the future ZEUS controller COOP. Apparently it is less than 15 feet as it looks now from the testing above. And apparently the distance can be greater for flex strips than nodes which I find interesting because I thought the first RGB node regenerated the signal and so on.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would like to know the distance between the SSC and the first node that people were originally testing with that had absolutely NO problems with flicker or "all on" white as described above. If it were in the 6-8 foot range I would think it was good enough for the COOP. But I still would like to find out the max range you could go without problems as it would be more important for the future ZEUS controller COOP. Apparently it is less than 15 feet as it looks now from the testing above. And apparently the distance can be greater for flex strips than nodes which I find interesting because I thought the first RGB node regenerated the signal and so on.

I am on it.  Fatherly business is closed and blinky shop now open.   ;D

12' on deck. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2013, »
YES

Everything is working here. I don't see any reason not to go ahead with the coop.

Rick

Offline deplanche

« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2013, »
I say yes, it is good to go.  No problems with the hardware at all, and software issues seem to be resolved.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2013, »
I'd say its ready now, I can't find anything so far.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2013, »
RJ I say yes go for it. I think it is ready!

BTW I did not get a chance to do any testing tonight!

The only node that I have not tested are the rectangles which I can easily. I do not have any solid metal strips.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2013, »

My original set up is\was 3'. The node regenerates the signal, but not the voltage. That is why I had more of a problem with my 8" spacing nodes then I did my 4" spacing nodes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline zwiller

« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2013, »
12' from SSCv4 to first node, hybrid mode no nulls 1 group, tested red from 0-255, green 0-255, blue 0-255, white 0-255, another test for individual nodes for rgb;

Xlights: CHECK (no issue with all white)
Vixen: CHECK
LSP: CHECK

I think 12' is absolutely rock solid.  I hooked up a v3.1 SSC to the string it just locked up instantly, so the v4 is a definite improvement in terms of distance to first node. 

With regard to a COOP, I wanted to test this before I gave my blessing.  Here is a video of a simple sequence in LSP using one of my window frames made of flex strips comparing SSCv3.1 and the new v4.  Because of the node count the frame uses 2 SSC and for the purposes of the test I programmed both to the same start channel.  Bottom and left are v3.1, top and right are v4.  I see absolutely no issues whatsoever or difference between the two, and I think that's a good thing.  I should point out that I tested using a pixelnet dongle and blinky actually performs better with an etherdongle...  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I consider the SSCv4 COOP ready.

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2013, »
Coop Manger has been waiting long enough

YES, the SSC v4 is ready to go. (of course my YES expires as soon as the coops ends and folks start building them LOL)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #249 on: April 26, 2013, »
Yes
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #250 on: April 26, 2013, »
Coop Manger has been waiting long enough

YES, the SSC v4 is ready to go. (of course my YES expires as soon as the coops ends and folks start building them LOL)

Rick R.

Can I add this to the disclaimer on the opening coop page?   ;D
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline animal

« Reply #251 on: April 26, 2013, »
I'm sorry to jump in on this, and you guys are fantastic. I've been following this thru, and I'm just wondering will this firmware work on v3 ssc (modified v2) ?
                                                        Sorry if this is not the place for this question,

animal

Offline deplanche

« Reply #252 on: April 26, 2013, »
Don't hold up the coop for this, but just curious... what happens if someone builds this with the capacitors reversed?  Since they look the same, you know someone is going to do it accidentally.  Just wondering what happens when they do.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2013, »
 <la.. 

Rick,

If your are building the manual I would really em phisize the placement of the capacitors since they look almost identical. Just my fraction of a penny input.  :D

Roger

Don't hold up the coop for this, but just curious... what happens if someone builds this with the capacitors reversed?  Since they look the same, you know someone is going to do it accidentally.  Just wondering what happens when they do.

Beat me to it.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2013, »
I think you guys mean the voltage regulators?: black half cylinder things-me-bobs.  I can just barely read part #s and the orientation for the pcb.  That said, the tiny caps are practically identical and I couldn't tell either of them apart for the life of me if they weren't in a mouser bag.  But hey, I managed to build it and it didn't catch fire or even smoke...