Author Topic: New SSC  (Read 49275 times)

Offline deplanche

Re: New SSC
« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think you guys mean the voltage regulators?: black half cylinder things-me-bobs.  I can just barely read part #s and the orientation for the pcb.  That said, the tiny caps are practically identical and I couldn't tell either of them apart for the life of me if they weren't in a mouser bag.  But hey, I managed to build it and it didn't catch fire or even smoke...

Both the capacitors (tiny tanish things) and voltage regulators (black half cylinders) have more than 1 that look alike, but are different.  We have great coop managers here, and I am confident they won't put all those parts in the same bag (unless they just are having a bad day and want to take it out on everyone).  But I can see a newbie or an oldie with a brian fart dumping out all the parts and getting them mixed up together.  If those do get mixed up, it will be nearly impossible to tell from a photo that they aren't in the right place.  So just trying to anticipate helping out those who get them switched around by knowing what would happen if they do.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2013, »
I think you guys mean the voltage regulators?: black half cylinder things-me-bobs.  I can just barely read part #s and the orientation for the pcb.  That said, the tiny caps are practically identical and I couldn't tell either of them apart for the life of me if they weren't in a mouser bag.  But hey, I managed to build it and it didn't catch fire or even smoke... 

No we are talking

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2013, »
I will plan on putting these in a seperate bag with a little note inside that indicates a reminder where they go.  That should help 75% of us  ( me included ) that get excited and dump out all parts in pile.

Now back to our regularly scehduled broadcast....................
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, by Freebird »
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2013, »
I will plan on putting these in a seperate bag with a little note inside that indicates a reminder where they go.  That should help 75% of us  ( me included ) that get excited and dump out all parts in pile.

Now back to our regularly scehduled broadcast....................

Will mine be ready by next weekend?  ;)  >:D

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2013, »
 :o  Yes  Iwill bring with me to clap.   Just the bag and note right???
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2013, »
I guess nobody remembers Transistors :)

Oh well, I guess I am old and built lots of analog devices back in the day

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

« Reply #261 on: April 26, 2013, »
Vacuum tubes anyone?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2013, »
Nah.  That tube stuff is worthless... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2013, »
I wouldn't say vacuum tubes are worthless.  A pair of WE 300B tubes go for way over $1000.  But they are temporarily not being built.  I have a client who owns the manufacturing rights, but the plant has been shut down for awhile.  There is an order backlog of several thousand pieces, mostly to go overseas.  The space in a new building has been allocated and cleared, but room construction still has not started  nor any rebuilding of the machinery.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rm357

New SSC
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2013, »
We digress from the ssc topic, but in pro audio tubes are still a big thing. There are a few companies left that still make the more popular tube varieties. A good12ax7 will set you back about $15.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2013, »
Ok enough with the tube talk. That should be another thread.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2013, »
I have found that the addition of a 12ax7 in the 12v power section really warms up the color...   >:D 

Sorry RJ, 'twas the end of a long week. 

In all seriousness, can someone confirm my suspicion that using V4 firmware on previous version SSC's is potentially damaging?  I think animal raises a good question.  If it can be used, I would be happy to test this. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2013, »
No they are totally different, even the pic is a different model. The firmware is only usable on the V4 pcb.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline animal

« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2013, »
No they are totally different, even the pic is a different model. The firmware is only usable on the V4 pcb.

RJ

Thanks Rj.

Animal

Offline zwiller

« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2013, »
I wonder if the large number SSC requests in the COOP is due to folks converting older SSC's to the new v4?  I plan to grab a few new ones, but plan to keep my modded v3.1 in service.  Plus, I am sitting on 24 v2 pcbs... 

Great idea to add 3 core connector to coop, genius!