Author Topic: What is a Lynx Smart String?  (Read 176647 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: What is a Lynx Smart String?
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2011, »
No stiring, it is good when a user ask these question. Once we say something we have no idea how many people may or may not have really picked it up. So you may have asked but in turn you answered many people questions.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tng5737

« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2011, »
I am confused about one point.   In the videos, I think that RJ mentioned that 128 node limit was ONLY because of power.  Does this mean that the SSC can ONLY address 128 and that if there were say a string of 130 nodes then last two nodes would/could NEVER be addressed?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #392 on: January 27, 2011, »
That is corect.  The SC will only control 128 nodes so if you add more than that, they will stay dark
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline boarder3

« Reply #393 on: January 30, 2011, »
So for the co op if i want to do a mega tree like show in video here how many controllers do i need for a mega tree like 10ft high . Please let me know exactly what to order i have no clue and dont want to order wrong parts? THX

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: January 30, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So for the co op if i want to do a mega tree like show in video here how many controllers do i need for a mega tree like 10ft high . Please let me know exactly what to order i have no clue and dont want to order wrong parts? THX

Hi boarder3

Hard to say exactly what to get.

How many strings do you need? 16?
Each Hub can do up to 16 Controllers
You need a dongle to send the info

Take a look at this diagram it might help You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If fact take a look at the Wiki to read up on all of the Smart String info You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2011, »

There is a mega tree SS calculator already posted. 

Note: I bare no responsiblity if it is too little or too much.  Remember this is DIY...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, by Trepidati0n »
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2011, »
There are a couple of ways to do this. Assuming a 16 string tree you could use 16 smart string controllers (SSC's) and run from the controllers on the ground to the top of the tree. Or with a tree that short you can use 8 SSC's and run from the ground to the top and back down. It is a little more difficult to sequence as you will be sequencing 1/2 the string and then the other half but it allows for future expansion if you have a powerfull enough power supply. I will be expanding my tree to 24 virtual strings (12 actual strings) next year to achieve the fullness I had this last Christmas. To see if you are using the calculator correctly I have a 12' tree with a 6' base and calculated 43 appoximate nodes per string (I will be using 86 since I am going up and down). So it should be less for 10'. If you don't already know your string length there is a calculator here for that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . So to recap you need
1. a hub
2. some SSC's
3. the nodes(make sure to order a few extra for repairs)
4. a power supply
5. one of RJ's dongles flashed with pixelnet firmware if you don't already have one
6. software that supports pixelnet like Lightshowpro or Vixen or some others to be released in   
    the future.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, by keitha43 »

Offline pwalstead

« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2011, »
Since I missed the last one, when will the next coop be?  ???

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2011, »
The smart String coop has not started yet.

If you are talking about SSC's, hubs, and dongles my guess is that some users will have extra once the dust settles

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Mike

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #399 on: February 02, 2011, »
So for the co op if i want to do a mega tree like show in video here how many controllers do i need for a mega tree like 10ft high

each line up the mega tree does not "have" to be on it's own controller.
a 128node string seems to be close to 40 ft.  so half of that (64) would be close to 20ft.
if you were to have a 16 line mega tree, you could run 8 20ft strings from base to top, and then down again.

if that were the case,
you could create a 10ft mega tree with:
Qty 1 of Lynx Dongle
Qty 1 of Smart String Hub
Qty 8 of Smart String Controllers
Qty 8 of 64 nodes of Smart Strings  (EDIT: I just read in another post that the strings might be purchased in set lengths. 70 nodes might be an option)
Qty 1 of a computer ATX Power Supply with 1 12v rail.  There is a post of here with a link to a decent power supply from RJ. I'm getting this one, myself

(EDIT: found link of power supply You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Newegg is better than TigerDirect for showing the number of 12v rails in a power supply. I suggest you do research there.)

Of couse there's more than one way to do mega trees with Smart Strings, This is what I could think of to lower costs.
Your Mileage may vary.

And for this example, i used 10 ft, as the distance down the slope of the tree, not the vertical distance of the tree or pole itself.
I would also include extra Nodes in case you need to replace.  Nothing is completely indestructable.  

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: February 16, 2011, »
Just a minor update:

Sorry I have not been on the forum much but I have been hard at work coming out with some cool smart string stuff.

While the pcbs layout is not complete the prototype EtherDongle for pixelnet is up and running. I am still testing and have a lot of layout work to get the pcb where I want it, and fitting a case the way I want it to, but the firmware seems to work very well.  16384 channels is an amazing thing to see pouring out of one cat5 from one small inexpensive piece of equipment. 

It currently takes in 32 dmx universes of 1.31 and spits out 4 universes of pixelnet, Once you see the ease and flexibility of the system along with a few things you do not know about yet, it will dawn on you why I went the way I did. 

Do not fear your current smart string controllers and hubs will work with it all.

Back to work cya!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #401 on: February 16, 2011, »
 <;d <;d <;d <;d <;d <;d <;d
Will

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #402 on: February 16, 2011, »
Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2011, »
Your Killing us RJ !!! ;D ;D
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2011, »
 <pop..
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!