Author Topic: Shipping costs for led pixel strips  (Read 1043 times)

Offline drlucas

Shipping costs for led pixel strips
« on: December 19, 2012, »
Hi everyone,

Ray seems to be well respected amongst the people in the forums here, but the shipping costs seem to be pretty steep. In the example of the rigid strip, the shipping cost is more than the strip itself. I'm looking forward to playing with pixelnet next season (I have two thoughts, the first is a dot matrix - Merry Christmas sign, the second is making a big new years countdown and a tree with fireworks - both the countdown and merry xmas sign would be on the roof of the house), anyways, when coops start up, is there ever any consideration of doing a mass shipment and try to drive international shipping costs down? I'm up north just out side of Toronto in Canada and not sure if there is anyone who might be interested in the spring to get together for cost avoidance in shipping.

Cheers,
Ryan
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Re: Shipping costs for led pixel strips
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, »
If you buy a single strip shipping is high percentage of the order. But when you buy more items chat or email Ray with your order and he will give you a total shipping amount that will be less then if you just use the website.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, »
I thought there were some other recommendations when purchasing these items.  I need to learn myself and it's easier to learn from others who have paved the way.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, »
This was look into from the beginning of the Smart Strings and it doesn't work out well.

The more lights you order (and some members have seen this on their own) the bigger the shipping cost and the better chance that the customs authority will take notice and either delay the shipment and or charge you extra for it. RJ tries his best to save people money but in some cases its just not possible. Yeah shipping costs from China can at times be too much but keeping the orders smaller helps.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, »
Are there any other tips on how the pay for orders?  I have heard the term escrow used but I'm not sure how it works.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are there any other tips on how the pay for orders?  I have heard the term escrow used but I'm not sure how it works.
Always email Ray to get consolidated shipping and use paypal to pay for your purchases.  This also save a foreign transaction fee on your credit card.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, »
+1 

To me, the shipping cost seems to remain mostly fixed so the more you order the better off you'll be.  If you just need an item or two to test or fool with, try posting in for sale area.  When ready place 1 or 2 large orders for the year.  Although most times Ray ships fast, I waited 3 months for some items, so plan accordingly.  Also remember to order ALL of your connectors and other accessories at same time.  Plan on a 10% failure rate for leds and using 2x more connectors than you plan.  Really happy I ordered large quantities of the connectors...  Lastly, be sure you are ready to commit to rgb because there is a learning curve, not only in software sequencing but in programming and incorporating them into your show. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline drlucas

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, »
Thanks folks! i'll make sure to email Ray in advance, and also make sure to plan for contingency. When i start with the building of the devices I was going to order one extra of everything I need until I learn how to solder...i've done some very bad jobs in the past and need to advance my skills in that department. if there are every any academies offered up north let me know. Mind you i could always make a trip down to TX in the middle of winter!!

as for customs costs, i had a heck of a time when i got some custom flooring delivered and had to get a broker to clear the skids through customs. maybe Ray can write "GIFT" on the box and it will just fly through.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, »
I have never been hit with any additional customs costs, but then most of my orders have come in small boxes.  I concur with ordering extra stuff.  I thought I had ordered extra 3 pin connectors for my smart strings, but still ran out.  When I ordered my dumb strings I ordered 3 times as many 4 pin connectors as I thought I would need.  I'm just a slow learner.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA