Author Topic: DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE  (Read 2715 times)

Offline mmais68569

DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE
« on: August 26, 2011, »
I bought 36 of these candle lanterns today at Lowe's they had them on clearance at a price I could not pass up. They are designed for the small volta candles but I was thinking of something for Christmas. First thought was to place a Seasonal Entertainment Spot light in the top.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

but then how would I get the light to reflect out. The lanterns are 6" tall & 4" square.

Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks Mike

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, »
Heh. Disco ball!

---
I am here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
Leesburg, FL

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Re: DIY WHAT TO DO WITH THESE
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, »
Harrison had something similar at the LSH Academy this year.  His glass was frosted though.  He was running some 5050 modules with the 3 channel dmx module in each one.  Looked pretty cool.

If you don't mind my asking, did you get these recently?  I might need to go check my local Lowes.

Ron

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, »
you could always change out the glass to frosted, either by painting or getting some of the panels they use for drop ceilings and cut to fit. Then put some of the LED modules in as stated.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline PVPlaceLights

• Lola "Bean" - The Equalizer
    • Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, »
I agree with jeffcoast. Get some ceiling light diffusers (~$4 for 24"x36") from the hardware store and cut to fit. Be careful as the diffusers are brittle. I suggest using a high speed cutting tool like a RotoZip or Dremel.

I think the diffusers used with any moderately powered light node will produce an amazing and intriguing result.

--Matt
Dazlyn [imagination.innovation.Realization]

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, »
I think I am going to try frosting the glass & get with David at Holiday Coro & try one of his sample packs.

Mike

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, »
I think I am going to try frosting the glass & get with David at Holiday Coro & try one of his sample packs.

Mike
If the glass is removable you can get a spray can of glass frosting from Michaels, JoAnns's or other hobby stores. I have done that for lanterns for my Halloween display.
Jeff Squires

Offline typoagain

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, »
I bought 36 of these candle lanterns today at Lowe's they had them on clearance at a price I could not pass up. They are designed for the small volta candles but I was thinking of something for Christmas. First thought was to place a Seasonal Entertainment Spot light in the top.

but then how would I get the light to reflect out. The lanterns are 6" tall & 4" square.

Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks Mike

LOL!

I actually signed on today specifically to ask question about using these myself!

I have 20 of the silver that I used as decorations for my son's wedding 9 days ago. I liked them so much I bought 10 more black ones for another project.

My ideas:

Use the silver ones with frosted glass (spray glass frosting from Lowes) and 2 of the cheapDMX 5050 modules. String them together and then add a stake to the bottom- Instant pathway lights! I even considered painting the silver ones with an candy apple red paint. For the stakes I would use 1/2" emt. They could also be hung from the hooks with the wire running from the top. I was thinking the holders that stick into the ground to hold potted plants-I just happen to have a couple on hand that I don't use for plants because the plants get blown off in high winds. I am going to try to paint a small image on the inside of the glass before I frost it. If my painting skills are not up to the task, I’ll simply use a single edge razor and start over. No big loss!
For the black one I am going to use orange or black vinyl silhouettes that I will cut out on my wife’s Pazzle Inspiration (or you can use a cricket-ask any woman who is into scrapbooking, they will know all about it). Some I will use the same way. Others I have another plan for.

<rtt..      <rtt..      <rtt..

Now for MY Question!
At my son’s wedding we used the little electric tea lights in the lanterns. This was OK, but I really want more light. What I would like to do is to build (or buy) a cheap LED light. I was thinking 1 or 2 very bright LEDs connected to a little 9v transistor battery. My wife wants to use then in a couple of center pieces and needs to light them cordlessly.   I know that it would be very easy to wire up and not cost much at all. But I do not have the knowledge as to what LEDs to get and do I need to add any resistors, etc.? I have no design skills in this area.

So I am here to humbly bow down , get on my knees, and ask the Great Masters here at this great site. Can you help me please?

I would like to have two different colors. One that uses red  LEDs for the silver Lanterns and one that use a white or orange color for the black lanterns.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, by typoagain »
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline typoagain

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, »
Harrison had something similar at the LSH Academy this year.  His glass was frosted though.  He was running some 5050 modules with the 3 channel dmx module in each one.  Looked pretty cool.

If you don't mind my asking, did you get these recently?  I might need to go check my local Lowes.

Ron

My local Lowes is out of the silver as to 2 days ago, but still had about 30 of the black on hand this morning. I called the next town over and they still had a several of both on hand. It's worth a trip to find out. The also had some that were larger and more expensive. If they are marked down as much as mine, you will be suprised at the price. Put it this way, I bought one that was bigger for $4.50

I would offer to get some locally for you and ship them, but you would end up paying 2 or 3 times as much for the shipping. If I remember right, the regular price was like $3 each for this size.
If nothimg else, I figured to put a bow on them and a electric tealight and use them as hostess gifts when going to friends for BBQs. I am one cheap SOB!

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, »
I hate burst your bubble but I only paid $.25 each for the smaller ones, that was $9 for 36.
Lol  LOL

LOL 
           Mike

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, »

Ron

Yep - FIRST ... I personally would frost the glass and use some cut vinyl on it with a snowflake or some sort of holiday object ... but a few square smart string modules in them for RGB (top and bottom) .. plan to have 20 hanging in my trees this year ... but EASY to do with 5050 modules and 3 channel module.  GREAT item!!!!!

Harrison

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, »
How many 5050 nodes are you going to run on each 3 CH grouping. I have a Rainbow Brain that will work but not sure how many CH to use.

Mike

Offline typoagain

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, »
I hate burst your bubble but I only paid $.25 each for the smaller ones, that was $9 for 36.
Lol  LOL

LOL 
           Mike

OH!  OH!  YOU FILTHY ............!

I bought the 6 black ones THIS MORNING at 10:30 am for $1.50 EACH!

This is going to hurt for at least a week! OH THE PAIN!

Your killing my cheap SOB side!

the ones I used on my son's wedding I bought about 5 weeks ago on sale for $2.50 (for 20) and they marked them down to $1.75 THE VERY NEXT DAY!

It's a conspiracy! Your all trying to torture me to death!

.................................................................pain,..........the pain.........

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, »
Try a white coro pannel, they have blank white coro signs in the Lowes with the signs on mail box isle.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline craig d

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, »
I've always used a cheep sandblaster to frost glass.