Author Topic: Question for all the MAC users  (Read 699 times)

Offline Sparky96

Question for all the MAC users
« on: December 05, 2011, »
Did a search but really didn't find the answer I was looking for. So, for all the MAC users, what software are you using for your shows. Are you running boot camp or native mac OS. It seems my backup computer died again, 3rd hard drive in about 1.5 years, I now thinking that something else in the computer is taking it out.  Anyhow, that is leaving me with my mac and I see there are a few other mac users out there. I will probably replace that broken computer but was just wondering if there's a fast and easy way to run the show from the mac so I can free up a computer to finish programming.

Thanks,
David

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Question for all the MAC users
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, »
If you already have sequences done (Vixen, LSP, LOR) then you can run the show native using xLights.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, »
You can use last year's version of xLights on the native mac os. It supports the Lynx dmx dongle, lor, and renard networks; but not pixelnet or e1.31. It is available for download on SourceForge.

Matt
Matt Brown
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, »
Cool, thanks.

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, »
Sparky96, yep no Mac love on the sequencing side but as rrowan said you can run the show from the Mac (or linux for that matter). With the upcoming Lynx Conductor this will be moot soon.

I use parallels to run windows on my macs. Funny thing is that windows seem to run faster on mac hardware?!

To expand on the mac side of software tools, I have successfully used MPLAB X IDE Beta to program the pics using a Pickit3 from a Mac. If the pics are out of circuit or unpowered you have to remember to enable the Pickit3 to supply power or you get the dreaded "cannot find target device".

Offline charles59

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, »
I have posted a few times indicating I have native Mac software for playing, visualizing, and scheduling shows that are in LOR format (sequencing I don't have done yet).  I even have software that will let you build your own light curves (uses a light meter) and will display all the current light curves. I support the lynx dongle.  It is native Cocoa software, that integrates with iCal, etc.  However, I will stated it is far smaller in terms of breadth of support of hardware versus xLights, with the latter have far greater support (pixel net, E1.31, etc).

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, »
Well, didn't run the show tonight so that I could program. Just downloaded xlights. Ill leave the show up the rest of the week and maybe play with xlights using my spare dongle and express. Then if everything seems to be going ok, I'll swap the show over and do some more programing. Thanks again.

David