Author Topic: Any plans for a wireless Pixelnet?  (Read 578 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Any plans for a wireless Pixelnet?
« on: November 19, 2013, »

Just a thought, but like with the Expresses, it would be nice to eliminate some wires.  If the Zeus or Active/Passive hubs could have a wireless receiver, that would at least eliminate having to have a bunch long cat5 cables coming out of the garage (or where ever you may keep your controllers).

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: Any plans for a wireless Pixelnet?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, »
Jason, if you use the Conductor and Slave with wifi it will run just like you are wanting. I think Pixelnet is too large for the wireless used for DMX.  With the other wifi connected to the Conductor and slave, then the only wireless information transfer will be timing. I hope this makes since.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, »
Both the Zeus as well as the Active / Passive hubs can daisy chain so at best, wireless would eliminate 2 CAT5 cables.  The rest of the cables go to the controllers and it would be a bit difficult transmitting the power along with the control signal to the SSC and DSC units where most of the wires are going to.  Another issue is that the PixelNet system sends 4 universes between the hubs and Zeus units.  This would require a 4 transmitter system to make that work which is not really practical. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, »
Like I said, thought I'd ask.  I haven't used PixelNet, so really don't know much about it.

I was thinking more about with the hubs where you have 16 cat5 coming out of it.  But I'm also considering my current setup.

I'm using a number of wireless Expresses with a USB dongle to the wireless transmitter.  I was looking to add Smart Strings next year.  With my current equipment, I would have to keep the active hub inside so I could connect my wireless transmitter to it (or run a long wire outside from the updated Pixelnet dongle to the hub, then another long wire back in from the hub to the TX).

But I could see a lot of wireless craziness going on with tens of thousands of channels.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, »
The problem with Smart Strings is that the hub provides both the power and control signal to the string.  Even with the signal being sent wirelessly, you woild still need to provide 12V power so there would be no real reduction of wires.  As for your situation, there is a standalone Pixelnet to DMX converter on the way that you could use to send the DMX to your transmitter.  You could also locate your transmitter outside near the smart hub.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, »
jwillliams

I do like your Mickey display in the window.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required