Author Topic: Basic Stamp  (Read 581 times)

Offline johnselph

Basic Stamp
« on: December 06, 2014, »
Hey Y'all,
Who is a Basic Stamp guru on this board?  I acquired a Sumo Bot kit, as well as a completed Sumo Bot, and understand that they are driven by Basic Stamp 2.  What would I need to take the stamp from either the kit or bot, and program it for use with lighting?  I am computer savvy, having programmed in earlier languages like COBOL, BASIC, and VB, and built and repaired systems for over 30 years.
Trying to get my feet wet without dropping a ton of $, so anything that I can use, that I already have, to experiment with will be a blessing.
Ideas, thought, and recommendations are welcomed.
Thanks,
John

Offline caretaker

Re: Basic Stamp
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, »
check out this website, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login thye used to work for Parallax and now create there own stuff using Parallax chips. In the long run you will be better off getting kits for DLA.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline johnselph

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, »
Caretaker,
Thanks.  Not familiar with DLA.  Can you give me the "Readers Digest" explanation. or recommend some basic reading info?
Thanks,
John

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, »
As someone who actually did this, before knowing better

and somehow even got on hackaday for it.

Let me advise against this and here is why.

Mainly, a Basic Stamp isn't fast enough to read the zero cross of the AC voltage.
You must read the zero cross so you can turn off the voltage at the right time in the AC cycle to achieve dimming.
To do dimming you must use a Triac.
Of course that assumes you want dimming, or you can just use cheap relays like I did.... I burned them out in a week.

The year after I used the Parallax SX and was actualy able to do dimming, and the boards work fairly well, and actually I am still running them today, 4 years later. But they are dependent on USB to serial, which is a drag. Would much rather have everything be pixelnet.

Long term, the solutions have already been done, and there is fairly standard equipment.

If you want to do it for fun and learning, then by all means go for it. Don't think it will save time or money though.

My site is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login if you want to see more pictures of my journey.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, by lboucher »
Boucher Family Lights

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, »
Caretaker,
Thanks.  Not familiar with DLA.  Can you give me the "Readers Digest" explanation. or recommend some basic reading info?
Thanks,
John

DLA is this forum - Do it yourself Light Animation
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA