Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 589 times)

Offline shaunkad

Hello everyone
« on: September 24, 2012, »
I have been gone most of the year I just got bit by the bug again thanks to a coworker who gave me close to 3000 incans.  I have a question I am think about getting a bachelors degree in electronic engineering on line. How well will the obsession of blinky flashy help?

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been gone most of the year I just got bit by the bug again thanks to a coworker who gave me close to 3000 incans.  I have a question I am think about getting a bachelors degree in electronic engineering on line. How well will the obsession of blinky flashy help?

It can't hurt.  Certainly will give you drive to do more of the DIY things and give you a better understanding of what is happening behind the chips and transistors and resistors (and in the mind of RJ and the other developers.) As far as practical help on the degree, it depends on what they have you do during your studies.  If they want you to develop a circuit or the like to do something as a practical project, I can see your obsession helping you decide what kind of project you will build.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, »
hello from Colorado Springs, CO

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, »
Well I've taken a couple EE courses during my undergrad.  It would probably help to have some practical, hands on, knowledge of circuits that DIY would or has already given you.  You will definitely see some of the circuit design and digital data processing that RJ uses here in your courses.  But not sure that it will be a huge overall advantage.  Any technical degree is a lot of work to obtain, so if you just have a passing interest in electronics, it most likely won't be enough to push you through the courses.  You really either need to be wired to think that way or just really smart.  But if it you are just really smart and not really interested in it, it may not be the right career path for you.  Of course any BS in engineering right now is a very nice piece of paper to hang on the wall, career wise.