Author Topic: Out of Memory - GRRRR!!!!!  (Read 1240 times)

Offline sielbear

Out of Memory - GRRRR!!!!!
« on: November 01, 2011, »
I'm trying to essentially sequence my show using all transitions.  I've spent quite a bit of time creating this videos with some pretty cool patters, etc.  The idea was to export those as 30 second clips at 15 fps, import the transition into LSP, and I get a beautifully sequenced show that's pretty advanced.  Here are my problems...

1.) frame rate in LSP / scheduler is freaking awful.  If I take a small, sample sequence and export to LOR, then run in xLights, I get AMAZING results.  I'm pretty stoked about this...  Unfortunately:

2.) With anything more than one or two 30 second clips, the whole thing just blows up on me.  Around the 2:30 mark, I can no longer add a new transition - out of memory.  Often I won't even get an out of memory message, just a note about saving undo state, I watch memory usage to over 1 GB (mind you, I have 3 - 4 GB free still), then back down to 2 - 4 mb.  No CPU usage occurs at that point. 

3.) Additionally at the 2:30 mark, I cannot export the sequence to LOR S2 format any more.  Similar results as above.  I get cloning sequence or something like that, RAM usage soars over 1 GB, then crashes back down to 2 - 3 MB and no CPU processing. 

I should have known this might be difficult when I tried exporting 60 seconds of video and had to try 2-3 times...  Any tips?  Any tricks?  Am I missing something?

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: Out of Memory - GRRRR!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, »
I am planning to do the same thing.  I have seen the out of memory error message creating transitions.  What I have been doing is adding a transition, saving, existing LSP and then repeating the process.  I haven't tried to export to LOR though. I can try that tonight and see what happens.  Do you get out of memory when trying to export after a clean restart?  Have you posted this on the LSP forum and send David the sequence file?  Are you on the etherdongle co-op?

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, »
A number of users are having the issue and hopefully David is working on this.
Thanks
Mike

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, »
A workaround may be to split the song into chunks smaller than 2:30, then just run them sequentially in the scheduler or Xlights.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline sielbear

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, »
Jeff-

I'm talking with Matt to see if that's possible.  One current issue is that when xLights loads a song, it reads it in and processes it from the hard drive.  With my sequences at 210 MB for 90 seconds, there's a 5 - 10 second gap to load and process the song.  There is some talk about some possible fixes, but Matt would have to do that as I'm not in any possible context a programmer!  I learned that in college with a complimentary, A-F grading system provided by the computer science department. :)

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, »
I was seeing this error in the log file during exporting to LOR and the latest beta I was sent did not do this.  Another user that was having a similar issue to you says he tried the same beta and it stopped erroring for him so my guess is a fix for you will arrive soon. I had other issues with that beta so I don't know if those issues will be addressed before the next release. However it looks promising the next release will help you out.