Author Topic: Attic search yields cache of multi's, what to do...  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Greg

Re: Attic search yields cache of multi's, what to do...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you have pictures or a how to on that bulb press. I just took 5 multi strings apart to get the orange bulbs I needed for my singing pumpkin. I used a pair of craftsmen crimping pliers, it worked ok, but I don't think I was anywhere close to 20 minutes. Thanks for any ideas or pictures,

Bill

Uh oh, I just had to open my big mouth and now I've created more work for myself...  <fp.

Its nothing fancy, just cobbled together out of scrap. Standby, I'll see if I can dig it out, dust it off and snap a picture or two and post later today.

I promise its ugly but it works great for getting fully seated bulbs and no scratches.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline Greg

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, »
Okay folks, as promised I will now reveal my lack of photographic skills.  No wait that is not what I promised; I promised the press was ugly but works.

But first, a small disclaimer on my under 20 minute per string rebulbing stated in a prior post.  I have very quick motor skills as compared to average so "your mileage may vary"  The overall process goes like: 1) debulb a bunch of strings (don't laugh and don't tell the wife, but I use a dremel modified fondue fork to pull the bulbs [no pictures please]), color sorting into old butter tubs as I go, repopulate a bunch of strings with just enough finger effort that they won't fall out of the sockets, then use the press to fully seat the bulbs.

Attached is a PDF with a series of pictures showing the press.

If you decide to cobble something like this together, take note that the turret (wooden piece [scrap of hard maple] the bulb goes into on the lever) is set up to allow some swivel motion to make bulb/socket positioning less critical and the turret hole is just slightly larger (1/64" as I recall) )and deeper (1/8") than the glass portion of the bulb with a slight shoulder (1/64" larger diameter yet). This makes certain that the pressure exerted in seating the bulb is applied to the plastic bulb base and not the glass eliminating the chance of breaking or scratching the bulb.

Also, the slot in the aluminum plate the socket slides into is too small for the larger string end sockets to fit into. I just rotate those bigger sockets 90 degrees, set the socket on top with the wires passing through the slot lift the lever a bit higher than for regular sockets and then seat the bulbs in the socket.

Ugly but functional enough for me, I've done tens of thousands with this thing.

Greg

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, »
Greg,
You are the perfect example of a DIYer. How many people would spend that kind of time to build such a specialized tool? I applaud your ingenuity and imagination.
Great job!!

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, »
Nice.  Straightforward and practical.  As I looked at the pictures, I thought: "Norm would like this" (a reference to the Yankee Workshop :) )
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Greg

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, »
How many people would spend that kind of time to build such a specialized tool?

Hmmm, I'd guess 1 ?   <yk..

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, »
Very nice!  Thanks for posting!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, »
Thank you for the info Greg, awesome job <res.

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, »
I do not think I can couble one togther beforethe show goes up but this looks like a project I can handle

Thank You
Shaun

Offline Greg

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, »
Thanks for the encouraging comments. In all honesty I was rather surprised it works as well as it does.

One thing in particular to consider changing:  Making the base extend out at least as far as the end of the handle because when you're pressing down the force tries to tip the press.  I thought about doing this when I originally made it but decided I'd rather have the press closer to the edge of the bench and just use spring clamps to clamp it to the bench (which is the main reason I made it extend as far as it does to the sides).

Now, since I hijacked my own thread...

Any more suggestions for using multi's AS multi's in the display?

Thought about interleaving strings stretched across the ground and wiring back to a number of channels then using random effects at certain points in sequences to make patterns (unfortunately, I think, rendered subtle by the fact of them being multi's).  Then maybe next year I can redo the strings to make them mono-color strings for more usefulness and impact.

Greg

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, »
Hey Greg,

Do you have something as elegant for removing the lamps to begin with or is it just pliers or fingers?

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, »
I think he said that he modified his wife's fondue fork!  LOL
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline FlashG

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, »
Greg aint no DIY'er.  He is a Master Craftsman....NASA Engineer....  Heck I can't even get a good box square.   

Really,  he reminds me of my dad.  He could build anything. 

I love the pictures.

Thanks,
Flash G

Offline Greg

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, »
Do you have something as elegant

-Paul

Elegant?  ::)  Last descriptive term that would come to mind for sure.

Correct!   I used to use a small pair of wire nippers/diagonal cutters with a gentle touch to pinch in between the bulb base and socket and pull them but then I noticed a fondue fork in a kitchen utensil drawer and, well, it mysteriously went missing.

After a little reshaping with a dremel the fork tines slip right into the bulb/socket junction, give the fork a bit of a twist and the bulbs just pop right out.

Greg
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, by Greg »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, »
Note to self,

Don't leave poor defenseless utensils with Greg

:)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, »

Yah...just had a (very long) senior moment going there... <fp.
Leesburg, FL