Author Topic: Spring is coming \0/  (Read 1000 times)

Offline towtruck

Spring is coming \0/
« on: March 09, 2013, »
More noob questions incomming  :)

The snow is slowly starting to melt during the day up here in New Brunswick, though is still drops below freezing overnight. Only 1 to 2 feet of snow in the yard now.

Still expecting one big storm ... March always roars on the way out.

I have been thinking about how the diy equipment and lights will hold up under my winter conditions.  Snow that stays comes from late November on.  Most of the winter the temps drop to between -20C (-4F) and -30C (-22F).  There are usually 2 to 3 weeks of the year that drop to -30C (-22F) to -40C (-40F). 

Sometimes we get a Chinook in late Jan for a week and some of the snow will melt back and I get a chance to dig out some of the Christmas lights and decortations to bring them in.  Otherwise they stay out to late March/early April.

I am planning on winterizing a cupboard or a deck box to hold and run the equipment (current plan is 2 x LE, 1 x pixelnet active hub and 1 x pc power supply) in and place it in the front deck.

I'll buy the premade cat5e cable from monoprice and I think i'll be making my own spt-2 extension cords if I can find the cable and plugs at a decent shipped price.

Looks like the SSC's will end up out in the snow along with the cat5e and power cables, possibly from early December until late March.

I haven't sorted out which SS nodes (lights) to order yet, but out of the ones listed in the wiki, it looks to me like Smart String nodes are the most rugged (IP68).  I really like the looks of the Flexible strips, but don't know if they would cope.

Would there be a better choice for SS nodes (lights)?

Any tips for running the diy equipment in these conditions?

Thanks,
Steve

sjb

Re: Spring is coming \0/
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, »
With last year being my first year and from Edmonton Alberta. I had 3 LE out side from Halloween to the end of January. We had -30 celcius and 4 feet of snow with no issues.

Steve

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, »
Some people have had issues with LEs when the temp drops that low. The solution that seems to work for them is to simply put a C9 bulb in the controller for a little warmth. That is the only thing that I know.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some people have had issues with LEs when the temp drops that low. The solution that seems to work for them is to simply put a C9 bulb in the controller for a little warmth. That is the only thing that I know.

We did with earlier versions but with V5 I do not think it has been an issue. now I grant you at -30c it would not surprise me as not much does work right at those temps but it should be good according to the part ratings to -40 f. As you said I agree if you are going to see those temps it is a good idea to put a c9 bulb in as a warmer or at the minimum leave the controllers on all the time. (they use very little power when just sitting idle.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline towtruck

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, »
Thanks for the responses.

The colder weather is usually Jan/Feb so peak blinky blinky time is generally a balmy -10C, but then there is wind, which should not matter if I have them in a cabinet.

The 2 LE that I received from blearning are LE V4.  Do I wire a C9 bulb to the board somewhere?

Alternatively I can insulate the cabinet quite easily ... would the heat from the PC power supply for the active hub be enough to keep it all warm.  I guess I would be mounting the power supply low with the LE's and active hub higher so they could benefit from the rising heat.  The I have 5 or 6 old PC power supplies that range from 150W to 400W.  Guess I should check out their specs, I imagine they are not the most efficient.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, »
No you just plug a C9 into the power that feeds the express and mount the bulb in the case with no contact against anything. It provides enough heat to keep the temp off the brutal lows we are talking about.

RJ

Offline towtruck

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, »
No you just plug a C9 into the power that feeds the express and mount the bulb in the case with no contact against anything. It provides enough heat to keep the temp off the brutal lows we are talking about.

RJ

Great.  I think I can manage that.

How do you think the SSC will manage with the cold?

Offline drlucas

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, »
The other option, and after this winter here in Toronto with -30 temps a few nights I'm thinking about it, put the house up for sale and head to the warmer climate!!  I'd rather wire up a cooling fan/exhaust vent then a heater any day :)
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, »
The other option, and after this winter here in Toronto with -30 temps a few nights I'm thinking about it, put the house up for sale and head to the warmer climate!!  I'd rather wire up a cooling fan/exhaust vent then a heater any day :)

Singing to the chorus, I live in Florida!

RJ