Author Topic: PAR 38 LED Bulbs  (Read 1285 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
PAR 38 LED Bulbs
« on: January 15, 2012, »
Looking for some Orange/Green/Red/Purple LED PAR38 bulbs.  Any good places people have?

Thanks
--Todd
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline meman

Re: PAR 38 LED Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, »
This site has the cheapest LED cans I've ever seen.

But most folks on this forum aren't looking to use PAR style lights, especially since the outdoor versions can get really steep in price. Check out the wiki for the Aether II RGBW flood. Its a DIY kit that will let you output any color you want including white.  Just hit this link and scroll down a couple of pages to the Aether II

Mike E.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, »
Yeah I want to do those just don't think Ill get them in this go around.  Trying to start small/simple since its my fist year :)

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, »
You may also want to look at the rainbow floods here:
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, »
Save your money and wait for the aether II.  LED par bulbs are expensive and they are not powerful.  Not sure if you could even get them colored. 

Look at this way: you want 4 colors.  You need 4 bulbs, 4 fixtures, 4 controller channels.  If you bought LED bulbs you’d far exceed the cost of the aether and that does not take into account fixtures or a controller.  One aether does what you want and then some, and it’s way more powerful than LED par bulbs.  I tried using 175W incan colored pars and they were completely disappointing.   

I understand you’re just starting, but you’d be better off in the long run not to waste time and money on something that doesn’t perform as you hope. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, »
Thank you very much for you input.  Yeah Ill probably just do that, hope I can get my hands on one  >:D

Offline Marty Miller

PAR 38 LED Bulbs
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, »
What about best method for lighting wood cutouts etc.  Need a good source for high quality LED flood bulb holders and bulbs.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, »
Here is another source You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, »
Forgot about the minions website.  Good one. 

Doesn't seem practical to use an aether for cutouts.  If I had cutouts, I'd just get a typical 75W halogen par bulb with a plastic bulb fixture and lawn stake.  Whole shebang costs under $10.  But I'm not like you guys wanting to drop $50 for led par bulbs...  That's less money for the pixel account.  ;D

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Marty Miller

PAR 38 LED Bulbs
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, »
Zwiller, I'll have the cut-outs light up during certain songs and stay dark during others.  A spot light bulb eats up amps quickly when dealing with LOR's limitations.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, »
Zwiller - Which has the better light output Aether I or II?  I know the II is supposed to be easier to put together and all, but is the pattern the same or better and the lumens the same or better?  Still thinking of the Aether I because of the self contained power supply but I have seen the posts here for the single cheaper 12AC supply as well.

Mark - Georgia
- Mark

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, »
Sorry I don't know a thing about LOR.  I was assuming you would be using an LE. 

An LE can handle 2A per channel.  A 75W halo spot will be .625A so you could run 3 on a single channel of LE.  Better yet, run discrete: better for for the show AND spread out your requirement.

Now, for giggles, lets assume you want to run 8 spots: 8 LED bulbs at $50 per is $400.  8 Old school halogens cost $50.  8 - 75W halos are 5A.  8 - 18W LED is 1.2A.  If you can't run incan spots from LOR, save yourself $250, get an LE ($100), 8 incan spots ($50), and gain another 8 channels for your show.  Actually, you could get 2 LE's from the money your saving going incan.

Although I don't own an aether I (missed coop), it is documented the aether II is brighter.  If I recall the pattern is relatively the same as both use the same fixture.  Lenses can change all of that.  I wanted the widest spread I could get so I run mine with no lenses. 

I didn't really like 12V business going into building the aether II, but found it was not a big deal at all.   Also keep in mind the aether II cost quite a bit less than I.  I think something like $30-40 different. 

Personally, when you realize you need to mount the tranny vertically 18" from ground, it kinda ruins the small tranny idea to me.  Plus most guys will run multiple floods... 

Offline typoagain

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, »
Forgot about the minions website.  Good one. 

Doesn't seem practical to use an aether for cutouts.  If I had cutouts, I'd just get a typical 75W halogen par bulb with a plastic bulb fixture and lawn stake.  Whole shebang costs under $10.  But I'm not like you guys wanting to drop $50 for led par bulbs...  That's less money for the pixel account.  ;D

Minions Web has a small 12 LED flood that screws into the same lawn stake (not all that bright, but will do for some of the smaller to medium size cutouts), that run about $10-$12.

It has also been my experience that regular incandescent PAR floods (apx. $6) that are colored tend to not last more than a year before the color peels off. I plan on getting a few of them this year myself. I figure that when I an finished using them in the yard I can find other places in the house to use them.

What I like best about LEDs is not having to worry about the load on the wiring. I run my cutout spots static and leave them on all night as security lighting.
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.