Author Topic: LE vs MR16  (Read 927 times)

Offline UncleBuck

LE vs MR16
« on: January 27, 2012, »
Ok, please forgive my ignorance but what are the differences between the LE and MR16. It seems the LE is the most popular but does the LE have features that the MR16 doesn’t?

Offline bassmants

Re: LE vs MR16
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, »
Others can get into more detail, but the MR16 is for 12V applications only. 

Offline Christmas.joe

• Listen To Those Lights!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, »
Aside from the 12 Volts, it seems that the MR16 is typically used to make things like stars, spinning wheels and other things that are mostly made from 12 Volt LED strips/ribbon that are cut into lengths that are usually not possible with LED/Incandescent 120 Volt AC strings.  Also LED rope lights that are 12V can be cut but not as short as flexible ribbon/strips and other DC LED gizmos.

This is where the addiction of this hobby really become apparent and that we are simply not satisfied with simple light strings hooked to the LE, now we have to create our own complicated objects that we can control in ways that are endless >.d9

The MR16 opens up a whole new world of ideas by having a more flexible and robust option to our displays.  I'm new at this also and this year I'm making the move into the DC LED voltage world in concert with my LE controllers.  It's exciting to think now all my free time will be spent creating the magic these guys do on this site.  It's amazing...  <res.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MR16 also will dim LED's just like the LE.

<pop..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, by Christmas.joe »
First Live Show 2011 Success Is Good!
12,000 Lights 32 Channel
Alabama

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, »
the MR16 is a DC dimming controller.

the LE is an AC dimming controller.
the LE also has the capabilities of dimming curves...

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, »
That is correct. The MR16 controller was originally designed for controlling MR16 LED spot lights that were being sold by another member. these MR16 LED floods were being used by most to color wash your house. (see the home page of my website for pic.) Since then RJ has created an RGB flood that work approximately a 1000 times better and brighter called the Aether. Both the MR16 controller and the Aether have now been improved and are on currently their 2nd rev.

It is important for newbies to remember that most light string that are LED are plugged into an AC power source just like regular light strings.

Leon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, »
I am looking to use the MR16 to drive relays and 12v solinoids for my Halloween display as well as drive a couple of rainbow floods due to their size.  Aethers to come later in the year!  I have static Easter Bunnies with lights pushed through that I will use the LE to make them OK like they hop.  Very flexible items here allowing for flexible applications - should handle the vast majority of your needs!
- Mark

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, »
Take a quick read on this thread.  Although the board looks like 12v only, it's actually 7-24V.  From looking at the circuit board, whatever you feed in from 7-24V will be outputted.  Most however would use it for 12v purposes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, »
there's tricks to get different voltages from it. so you're not limited to just 12v, or even the same voltage for every output.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!