Author Topic: How to use LOR software with LE's  (Read 2001 times)

Offline UncleBuck

How to use LOR software with LE's
« on: January 31, 2012, »
Ok, I tried to use Vixen but I could never get it to work (continual errors and then shuts down). So I have decided to use LOR software and Lynx hareware. In reading the newbie threads it appears that I need to purchase a I-DMX device (not sure what that is and couldn't find it on LOR website) from LOR and not use the dongles that I built. Help please.

Offline tennhillbilly

Re: How to use LOR software with LE's
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, »
I sent you a PM with my take on using Lor software .

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
How to use LOR software with LE's
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, »
If you have a lynx DMX dongle or ether dongle , you can use LOR with xlights .... Then no idmx needed.   I used LOR and xlights with over 4300 channels in 2011 ...
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline njKeever

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, »
The advanced version of LOR S3 now supports native DMX. Doesn't this mean you can use use the Lynx dongle and DMX without any iDMX or xlights workaround?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, »
I used LOR s3 and 9 LE this year with an Enttec Pro and a Lynx DMX dongle.  Each will support 512 channels.  I plan to use a bunch more this year with the same setup.   You need S3 and then an iDMX will not be needed.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, »
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Enttec Pro and do you need to use it along with the DMX dongle?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, »
The Entttc Pro is in a way what the DMX dongle was cloned from.  The DMX dongle could be called the Enttec Pro lite.  It doesn't have all of the features that the Pro does but it does do all that we need it to do as far as controlling the controllers and for less than half the cost. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline thestig

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, »
I sequenced in LOR S2 last year and ran the sequences through xlights. It worked flawlessly. It also saved me from buying an IDMX, those things were expensive if i remember right.

Grant

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, »
If I use LOR S3 Advance to run my show will I need to use both the Enttc and dongle or just the dongle?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, »
As said above, the Entec and the dongle serve the same purpose so either one SHOULD work, you don't need both.  IIRC, the Entec PRO can identify itself and the Lynks dongle does not do that so if the S3 Entec driver sends the identify command during its initialization process and requires a response, it would fail with the Lynks dongle.  I don't know if S3 makes that request or not. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, »
If I use LOR S3 Advance to run my show will I need to use both the Enttc and dongle or just the dongle?

You can use either or, but since you have the Lynx dongle, quit thinking about the Entec Pro.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, »
Perfect, dongle it is ;) and I'm done thinking about it.  :) Thanks everyone!!

Offline ponddude

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, »
Unclebuck (ps I love that movie!) there is an Understanding DMX document that we put together on our Downloads page in the Tutorials section.  It has been downloaded over 1000 times in 3 weeks and people have found it extremely helpful.  It explains how to use DMX, no matter what adatper you use, including the Lynx, with LOR.  You may want to read over it to further cement your understanding of how great and easy DMX is to use with LOR.

Greg
Greg

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, »
Bob over on the LOR forum also has a video in his video section on how to setup the dongles and get DMX working in S3.  Don't get discouraged.  It works but it's a little confusing.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, »
Basically, if you use LOR S2/S3 and xlights ... LOR doesn't need to know what hardware your using.  In fact, you set it up like a bunch of LOR 16ch controllers on the LOR side.  Its in xlights where you actually map out that these are say DMX channels on a Lynx DMX dongle.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]