Author Topic: E1.31 in LOR S3  (Read 1737 times)

Offline therealbigjim

E1.31 in LOR S3
« on: June 13, 2012, »
While trolling the LOR site I came across this thread.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

one post said...

Will S3 software (once E131 capability is added) allow direct connect to an E131 controller? I'm interpreting your explanation as that being the case (for example, S3 with E131, connected direct to a sandevices E681 board, or one of the j1sys devices), and the gateway you describe is purely for interfacing to non-E131 devices, such as standard LOR controllers, or DMX devices. So the gateway is optional, not required.

Please let me know if I am thinking about this correctly.

I think you have it exactly right if what I say in the next paragraph is correct.

My understanding of the E681 is that it looks to S3 exactly like an E1.31 gateway -- it doesn't matter to us that it decodes the DMX messages and drives the pixel strings itself. If it is E1.31 compliant, then no additional hardware is needed. PC -> LAN -> E681. Our gateway is like the J1Sys EthConGateways which we used for our initial testing.

If the E681 is as I explained above, then it is similar to our Matrix controller. It's just that we have a bigger window into the user community so we needed to add some additional hardware to meet their needs.

So it it puts E1.31 out to an eather dongle flashed with Pixel Net will I control Pixel net with S3? Looks like I can from what I understand the Edongle just converts the input to Pixel net.....I hope it works.

"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: E1.31 in LOR S3
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, »
The ETD will work with any software package that can send e1.31.

So if they add 1.31 to s3 then yes.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline ponddude

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, »
Yes it has been released to the beta testers.  There are some flaws and I am waiting on the ETD but it is working for other people. 

As soon as I get an ETD I will be able to fully test it and can report back.

Greg
Greg

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, »
Old thread, but on topic.

I'm using LOR S3, version 3.8.0, and it fully supports E1.31

I had done many tests with my ED flashed as DMX and it always worked well.
When I flashed my ED to Pixelnet, I was concerned that I might have to "throw away" or "ignore" any PixelNet channels above 512. There is just no obvious method of telling S3 that my Universes are 4096 channels, not just 512.

So I experimented today. I configured an SSC V3 to start at channel 502. It was a 20 pixel string, so it covered the range from 502 to 561 (60 channels) and deliberately crossed the 512 boundary. I plugged it into the same SS Hub that my working Universe 1 SS is plugged into.

In my test sequence, I created channels on Universe 1 from 403 to 512 and Universe 2 from 1 to 81.

When I created a chase sequence that covered that whole range, it seamlessly went right over the 512 boundary and ran down my pixels as if I'd been able to configure it with channels  from 403 to 594.

I didn't expect it to work but it did. I suppose to use EVERY channel in a PixelNet ED, I'll have to create 32 Universes in LOR's Network Preference.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, »
You found the secret to LOR using Pixelnet.

4096 = 8 universes of 512 channels each.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, »
Dennis, it is more of a mystery than a secret.

I'd seen your earlier post about putting in Universes.

For my current stock of Pixelnet and DMX interfaces, I have in use:

A Pixelnet ED (setup with the standard Universe 1 thru 4 firmware)
A Lynx USB Dongle flashed for DMX. It is setup and working as Universe 5 in LOR
A J1Sys ECG-DR4 setup as Universes 6 thru 9

I'm using Universe 1 of the ED and Universe 5 for my Halloween show

So, if I configured LOR in Network Preferences with the first 32 universes of Multicast, the ED would somehow (magically) understand the overlap of channels and give me access to all that?

And would I need to put my Lynx DMX dongle as Universe 33 to avoid messing with the MOJO ???