Author Topic: FM Transmitter Antenna  (Read 3040 times)

Offline UncleBuck

FM Transmitter Antenna
« on: July 02, 2012, »
I purchased an FM transmitter from EDM and forgot to purchase the rubber duck antenna. I tried Radio Shack and couple other local electronic stores and was unsuccessful finding one with the correct connector. Any suggestions!!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: FM Transmitter Antenna
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, »
for those of us that don't have that type, can you post a pic of the connection?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, »
I wouldn't think a rubber duck would do much.  I have this antenna and it rocks.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, »
I wouldn't think a rubber duck would do much.  I have this antenna and it rocks.

Dennis Cherry (in this forum) builds identical antennas to this item...  it works great!
if Dennis isn't making them now, then the link here would be a good choice.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, »
It uses a regular RCA jack. I've used the supplied test antenna for the past 3 years with not a single problem.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, »
one of our members did a great job in the wiki writing up info on antennas.

Different types and how to build your own

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, »

Dennis Cherry (in this forum) builds identical antennas to this item...  it works great!
if Dennis isn't making them now, then the link here would be a good choice.

I have built Ground Plane Antennas for the past 3 years, however this year, due to moving to another part of the country, I will not have any available until next year.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DonFL

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, »
I bought a rubber duck with a bnc connector on ebay, picked up a bnc-rca adapter from another vendor (using an edm), and have been pleasantly surprised by the performance. From garage to where the road is on my property is probably 1500 feet, and it did just  fine.

Look carefully for a rubber duck cut/matched for FM freqs, not the generic wide band scanner antenna you'll typically find. Here is an example: 

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, »
I got it figured out. The test antenna works just fine, I just needed to find a good channel to transmitt from. Thanks everyone for the help.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, »
Just don't run the test antenna at the 100mw setting.  I think EDM warns against it.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, »
EDM warns you against using the test antenna only for test purposes ONLY.

EDM always recommends using an antenna tuned to your operating frequency no matter what power setting.

Reason is keeping the transmitter from heating up and reducing the operating life.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, »
I got it figured out. The test antenna works just fine, I just needed to find a good channel to transmitt from. Thanks everyone for the help.

Try this link to help you with selecting a channel
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rm357

FM Transmitter Antenna
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, »
There have been a lot of discussions on various transmitters and transmission in general. You need to resist the temptation to go big... Output power should be turned down to the minimum level that will provide the coverage and quality you want. If you live on a 100 acre farm, go for the half watt or bigger output, but if you live in an area where lot sizes are less than an acre, 10mW is more than adequate. I run about 2 milliwatts and cover my street and most of the streets next to mine. You can hear the music well before you can see my house.
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DonFL

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, »
There have been a lot of discussions on various transmitters and transmission in general. You need to resist the temptation to go big... Output power should be turned down to the minimum level that will provide the coverage and quality you want. If you live on a 100 acre farm, go for the half watt or bigger output, but if you live in an area where lot sizes are less than an acre, 10mW is more than adequate. I run about 2 milliwatts and cover my street and most of the streets next to mine. You can hear the music well before you can see my house.
RM

Very good point..and the key to solid performance, at minimal power, is a good antenna, and a good impedance match between transmitter and antenna. Do that, and there is no need for going down the "more power is better, and what I need..." path.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, »
I use an edm and an old dipole on the lowest power. The coverage is good and just as the display is in view, the signal is good and clear. I see no point in a larger area, it would be like a TV with a blank picture.

Have Fun
Have Fun!