Author Topic: LNT Curves and the real world  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Greg

LNT Curves and the real world
« on: July 30, 2009, »
I guess this is primarily aimed toward RJ but thought I'd ask in the open.

Firstly are there any plans (or value to the users) of publishing the curves of sampled light sets (perhaps in wiki) ?

How do I relate a non-normalized vixen intensity of say 90/255 to a LNT 90/255 intensity using a given light set? 

Last year when I sequenced some tunes and determined that an intensity of, to use the above mentioned 90/255, was the right setting for an effect, then what setting this year with LNT would yield the same light intensity?

Greg

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: LNT Curves and the real world
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I guess this is primarily aimed toward RJ but thought I'd ask in the open.

Firstly are there any plans (or value to the users) of publishing the curves of sampled light sets (perhaps in wiki) ?

How do I relate a non-normalized vixen intensity of say 90/255 to a LNT 90/255 intensity using a given light set?  

Last year when I sequenced some tunes and determined that an intensity of, to use the above mentioned 90/255, was the right setting for an effect, then what setting this year with LNT would yield the same light intensity?

Greg

Greg,

There is no plan to publish the data as it would mean nothing to the users. The LNT data does not have any common denominator of the 255 steps in vixen or other software. In other words, 90/255 is  step 90 out of 255. But LNT does not use 255 steps it is set up on 1024 steps.

But move to a bigger picture view. You had to try and figure out what setting was right for the effect last year, but didn't you know that you wanted say 25%? without normalization you have to try settings to see what gets you in the area.  With Normalization you know that 25% or step 64 will give you this and do so on all the lights. And you can try it on the preview until it looks good and it will play out the same in the real world since with it the light are linear the same as the preview.

LNT is more than just having the users give up 0-255 and use 0% - 100% and use the 2 steps per percent to make the lights come on and max at at 0% and 100%, This is what all the softwares are doing now. It lets us actual linerize the lights to match all the other lights.

Example:
Take a set of white CDI replacment leds, they come on at about  10% and max out about 30% without normilization. Now use the software by going to % and setup a curve using the 2 steps per %. You can not get the lights to work like the other lights. you can make them dim over 40% instead of 20%, but not 100%. now use normilization. The lights act just like all of the other normilized lights. And you did not have to go back to 0-100% you can still use 0 - 255 if that is what you like, or if you use DMX equipment like gobos, robotic lights and such and need to use 0-255. Amd you can use any software or mix of and it will match since LNT is in the hardware and is not different from software to software.  

So with normilization just think 20% is 20% bright, 60% is 60% bright. and the lights brighten the same from one step to the next.

I hope this makes sense for you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, by rrowan »
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Greg

Re: LNT Curves and the real world
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, »
Thanks for the reply which confirmed my understanding of the LNT functionality.

Guess I was looking for a shortcut to duplicating what I found to work last year... ...rats. :-\

I was hoping I wouldn't need to develop my own pre/post LNT measurements or (horrors!) resort to relying on trial and error as before.

Greg

....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....