Author Topic: LE Ver 4 manual questions  (Read 1617 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
LE Ver 4 manual questions
« on: August 16, 2009, »
In the LE v4 manual on page 6 Step 1 Resistors there is note of 16 180 ohm resistors including one to the right above the rest.  I never found that one nor do I have any open spots for one left over.  It does show up on the V3 board.  Looks like it got overlooked for removal when the V4 manual update took place.

There are heat sinks for the two power regulators.  Should they be soldered to the pcb?  I did not think it was needed and did not do this, but I think a clarification in the manual should be made for other novices.

I passed the first power on test on my first assembled LE.  Now I have to get my cables installed and get set up to do the remainder of the tests.  So far, so good.   All the parts count came out correct, except for one extra 180 ohm resistor - see above.  I received 18, looks like it should have been 17.  Now if I can just learn how to sequence.  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: LE Ver 4 manual questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

I'm sure Rick is already verifying the manual as needed.

Sometimes the coop managers add an extra resistor to see if our more intelligent members are paying attention...

...I've never received an extra resistor....

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, »
On the higher counts we throw an extra in so if we miscount you are still Ok. at the quanitity we buy them the resistors cost  $.005  so its cheap insurance to make sure we have happy people and not people with one too few resistors holding them up.

You are correct the resistors got missed while updating the manual and yes the heatsinks should be solder to make the unit very rugged we will add that.

Thanks for the input it helps us improve the experience for all our users.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, »
Hi Jnealand,

I added the corrections to the manual

Thank you for letting us know

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, »
Rick as always you are the MAN!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, »
Nothing critical, but one more change that I think is needed.  In step 6 the first 4 bulleted items would appear to me need to be moved to the end of the section before the words Power Test.  Having now completed all 3 of my LEs (and they all work, YEH) the wording is not logical as I gid not install the connector strips and solder lugs before the triacs and heat sink, nor does the picture immediately following the Step 6 heading show them installed although the triacs and heat sink are installed. 

However on RJs video he does install the power lugs and connector strips way earlier (back in step 4) in the process, so there is no consistency in the available instructions.

Also in the video RJ does the first power test before the Triacs are installed, but the manual calls for that to be done just before all the chips and the pic are installed.  There are a few other inconsistencies between the manual and video, but both work it seems.

Jim
Kennesaw, GA
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, »
Hi All

I added a warning about the volt regs and triacs to step #4 and slightly reworded the warnings in step #6. I also cleaned up step #6 for a more logical process of assembly.

Thanks

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required