Author Topic: SSC Channels / Nodes  (Read 2161 times)

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
SSC Channels / Nodes
« on: February 02, 2012, »
I thought I read some where that there are a even thought the SSC can handle like 128 Nodes it need like 132 for some kinda of controlling like all strans 1 color etc.. Where is this information?.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: SSC Channels / Nodes
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, »
the ssc can control a max of 128 smart string nodes.
which uses 382 channels.

in hybrid mode, you add 3 channels to contorl the whole string as well
which makes it 385 channels
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, »
Is Hybrid Mode something you setup with the setup utility? If so the your telling me is possible to setup each set of strings, etc.. different. and its at the user peference? So, if in Hybrid mode does the first 3 control the color for the whole stran?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, by TexasStingray »
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, »
the ssc can control a max of 128 smart string nodes.
which uses 382 channels.

in hybrid mode, you add 3 channels to contorl the whole string as well
which makes it 385 channels
3 x 128 = 384
384 + 3 = 387

:)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, »
Is Hybrid Mode something you setup with the setup utility? If so the your telling me is possible to setup each set of strings, etc.. different. and its at the user peference? So, if in Hybrid mode does the first 3 control the color for the whole stran?
yes, in the setup utility you assign the following:
  • starting channel
  • number of pixels
  • order (front to back, or back to front)
  • pixel type (square, ribbon, string, rigid)
  • mode: string, hybrid, pixel
string uses 3 channels to control the entire string... all pixels take on the same color
pixel allows individual pixel control
hybrid allows individual pixel control, plus a set of 3 channels that will control the entire string
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, »
thanks for fixing my math...  lol

in hybrid mode, the 3 channels that control the whole string take precedence over the pixel mode too.
if you were running a chase pattern on your pixels, then decided to turn on channel 1,2 and 3, the whole string turns white regardless of what the indivual channels were doing

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, »

in hybrid mode, the 3 channels that control the whole string take precedence over the pixel mode too.
if you were running a chase pattern on your pixels, then decided to turn on channel 1,2 and 3, the whole string turns white regardless of what the indivual channels were doing
I haven't used hybrid myself.  how do you NOT send data to 1,2,3?  wouldn't setting 1-3 normally be considered turning off the entire string?

correct me if I am wrong...  if 1+2+3=0 then use the levels defined by channels 4-387.  if i want to turn the entire string off I'd actually need to set it to something "close to off"... like 0 for 2 of the channels and level 1 for the 3rd channel.  right?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, »
1=all on red
2=all on green
3=all on blue
1+2+3=all on white

And in hybrid mode the first 3 definitely override any inidvidual pixel control

in LSP I set up virtual controllers with the first 3 channels as my "static colors controller"
The remainder of the channels remain as an RGB controller
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, »

I haven't used hybrid myself.  how do you NOT send data to 1,2,3?  wouldn't setting 1-3 normally be considered turning off the entire string?

correct me if I am wrong...  if 1+2+3=0 then use the levels defined by channels 4-387.  if i want to turn the entire string off I'd actually need to set it to something "close to off"... like 0 for 2 of the channels and level 1 for the 3rd channel.  right?
If the first 3 channels of the string are off they don't override the rest of the string. Only if they are on.

Offline rimist

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, »
So if you turn on channels 5,11,17, etc, (every other light green I believe) then turn on channel 1 (entire strand red), then turn channel 1 off, the green channels would cone back on?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, »
So if you turn on channels 5,11,17, etc, (every other light green I believe) then turn on channel 1 (entire strand red), then turn channel 1 off, the green channels would cone back on?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
yes
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, »
you would most like use it in one mode (string on ch1-3) or the other (pixel mode).  I think mixing the two would be very confusing.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, »
I used mine in both modes this last season.  Strings/RGB are a big learning curve anyway you look at.  With hybrid mode it was easy to convert my old sequences where I use a lot of color changes.  After getting up and running I started doing things like turning every other bulb a different color.  Since I could no longer turn on my red and green strings at the same time I put every other bulb red and the other bulb green.  Works fine, You just have to remember to be careful about turning on channels 1-3 of a string.  No worse than all the other things that sequencing entails except a lot more details to keep track of.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, »
The way I do it, is when I want that section of the song to turn the whole string on at once I work with the 1st 3 channels and use the other channels for when I am not lighting the whole string at a time. In the example above you would not get red because you are actually turning on red and green at the same time. In LSP I set up a contoller for each string and call it for example "String 1". In it I only have the 1st 3 channels of the string. I then have 2 more controllers called "String 1 up" using channels 4-130 and "String 1 down" using channels 131-257(since my nodes run up a megatree and back down). I have 42 nodes each running up and down. 42 X 3 channels = 126 channels up and 126 down. In LSP you don't see 126 each because it knows RGB uses 3 channels so you only se 42 up and 42 down. And in my "String 1" controller you only see 1 channel.

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, »

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
[/quote

as long as when you turned the hybrid channels (the first three) of that string off, that the green channels were still happening on the timeline.